The Student Room Group

Mechanics - kinematics

I need some help:

"A ball is thrown vertically upwards with an initial velocity of 30 m/s. One second later, another ball is thrown upwards with an initial velocity of u m/s. The balls collide two seconds later. Find u. "

I just don't know how to start the question...
Reply 1
Original post by Electrogeek
I need some help:

"A ball is thrown vertically upwards with an initial velocity of 30 m/s. One second later, another ball is thrown upwards with an initial velocity of u m/s. The balls collide two seconds later. Find u. "

I just don't know how to start the question...

First draw a diagram to help you understand. You should have two suvat equations to solve simultaneously. You're given u, t (3 seconds as one second later, a second ball is thrown and they collide 3 seconds 2 seconds after that) and a for the first ball, and a and t = 2 for the second ball.
Reply 2
Could you say that v for the first ball and second ball are equal to eachother?
Reply 3
Original post by Electrogeek
Could you say that v for the first ball and second ball are equal to eachother?

No, but s(displacement) is.
Hi guys.. maybe it's not time for the question.. I'm from Italy, 26 years old.
I'm moved here in Uk 5 months ago.
To be honest I didn't do english before and now I'm doing eng Level 1 then L2..
In Italy I've already done mechanic engineering 5 years ago, very specifically.. now I want to finish it with Access Course in Nottingham, but I don't know how hard is the interview and how hard is the access course?? If you can help me I will be very happy..
And sorry for my english..
Reply 5
I have s for ball 1 as 134.1... Is this correct?
Reply 6
Original post by Abdul appiah
Hi guys.. maybe it's not time for the question.. I'm from Italy, 26 years old.
I'm moved here in Uk 5 months ago.
To be honest I didn't do english before and now I'm doing eng Level 1 then L2..
In Italy I've already done mechanic engineering 5 years ago, very specifically.. now I want to finish it with Access Course in Nottingham, but I don't know how hard is the interview and how hard is the access course?? If you can help me I will be very happy..
And sorry for my english..

You're asking in the wrong thread so I suggest making a new one. The interview should be relatively straight forward though (asking questions on why you're interested in that course and such), and they may not ask that many questions relating to Engineering except the basic.
Oh.. thanks

Quick Reply

Latest