The Student Room Group

(need help picking A-Levels plz)

I need to decide on my A-level choices soon and I don't know what to pick. Wondering if Economics maths geography and physics would go well together or if anybody has any other options that go well with maths and economics. thanks
Original post by Charlie20165
I need to decide on my A-level choices soon and I don't know what to pick. Wondering if Economics maths geography and physics would go well together or if anybody has any other options that go well with maths and economics. thanks

chemistry could go well with maths and economics. It could lead to chemical engineering.
if you want to become the dopest kid in the year pick further maths...

But seriously, have you considered FM?
I have but everyone says its too hard is it actually?
Reply 4
ive heard the m1 module is rly difficult, moreso than fp1 and d1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tofutofu

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree, I think it depends on the mindset.. I did FP1 D1 and M1 last year and I think FP1 was the easiest out of them to get a high grade. D1's difficulty is the easiest out of the three. It's not even Maths, it's more of a memory test. You memorise the algorithm methods then just substitute in values and get marks.but they give almost no follow through marks so if you make one mistake you lose so many marks following it...

M1 is one of the oldest Maths modules in existence so you could find at least 30 past papers online (For Edexcel at least that is) and after doing 6-7 past papers you'll realise that the questions from all the papers are almost identical but just with different values

Overall Further Maths AS wasn't as hard as I thought, I'd take it if you want to pursue a degree which needs loads of calculations..
I think those subjects are a very good choice. I do all of them except geography but some of my friends who do geography enjoy it a lot. But it depends on what you wan to do in the future. If you want to do business/finance then these a levels are very good but for engineering you might want to do further maths.
I dont have a clue what fp1 d1 and m1 is haha?

They're the 3 modules you have to do at further maths AS (maybe your school may do different modules to ours though instead of D1 and M1, but FP1 is compulsory)

D1 is all about algorithms (very easy to learn and very braindead but very easy to make mistake in the exam)
M1 is all about physics related calculations
FP1 is about complex numbers, matrices, coordinate systems, series and proof by induction
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Diplomat.
chemistry could go well with maths and economics. It could lead to chemical engineering.

Chemical Engineering = A lot of money

They are the name of some of the modules.

M1 is mechanics 1, D1 is decision1 and FP1 is a Fmaths module - further pure 1.

Think about the degrees you might do and then check some uni websites for the A levels they prefer.
Reply 11
Original post by tofutofu

Posted from TSR Mobile

M1 is not a difficult module. Obviously it is subjective but a lot of it is covered in A-level physics - which has barely any maths in it at all - at least not any A-level maths.
Original post by Mayhem™
Chemical Engineering = A lot of money

exactly
Reply 13
I have but everyone says its too hard is it actually?

If you are good at maths then you won't find FM hard. It may be worth considering because it is a really good qualification to have - regardless of the career that you want to pursue
hmmm which a levels would you advise for chemical engineering then?
Reply 15
hmmm which a levels would you advise for chemical engineering then?

It would be advantageous for when you apply to uni I would have thought.

Quick Reply

Latest