The Student Room Group

If you were a judge what would you sentence these people to?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kka25
For number 3, would it influence your decision knowing that he needs to take care of his very poor family and a paralysed child?

Yes to a degree. He should of thought of his responsibilities before committing himself to his acts. However I would still further reconsider depending on his good character and other physiological variables.
Original post by Yo Yo
Good point, but people should know that all it takes is a punch in the wrong place to end someones life or seriously injure them for example paralyse them, ideally in a situation like that you would want to back out of a fight. If it was in self defence, which this question doesn't imply, then yes, person A should not be punished too harshly

You kind of repeated your previous post, but just used different words. Like I said, they both accepted the possibility of an injury, yet they still decided to fight with each other. He just so happened to get in a punch that landed with such force to knock him down..but that was the expectation.

If you don't want to accept that risk, then don't fight.

Just because he died doesn't mean he was the victim.
Reply 62
Original post by *pitseleh*
Ah, fair enough. I think the questions of whether he can be reformed and whether mainstream prison would work for him can only be answered by people with the relevant knowledge and opportunity to assess him, which neither you nor I have. :wink:

True, but I think we can agree he's at a fair bit more risk of harm from other prisoners than say a shoplifter without having to be there. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by panda14
True, but I think we can agree he's at a fair bit more risk of harm from other prisoners than say a shoplifter without having to be there. :tongue:

Yes, that much is probably true. :wink:
I don't understand you people giving guy number 1 such a lengthy sentence. It was a fight, what were you expecting?
Original post by cherryred90s
I don't understand you people giving guy number 1 such a lengthy sentence. It was a fight, what were you expecting?

He killed someone; albeit somewhat unintentionally; although chances are if he's in a fight then his aim was to physically hurt the opponent

I agree. A few years max seems more appropriate.
Original post by Eggs20
1) Person A gets into a fight with person B. A punches person B and B falls and hits his head of a pavement and dies. How many years would you sentence A to?

5 years

2) Man beats a paedophile he caught molesting his child to death. At first it was an act of defence but soon it turned to an act of revenge and the man unnecessary ( by that I mean it wasn't self-defence) brutally beats the child molester to death. Would you sentence this man to prison?

6 months

3) A driver who has had black outs in the past blacks out while driving- hits and kills a few people. Would you sentence him to jail if he had a history of black outs?

Take his licence, £10000 fine and 12 years in prison

4) A severely mentally ill man with schizophrenia goes on a massacre killing many people after hearing voices in his head telling him he must commit this for the greater good of mankind and to save his soul. Would you sentence this man to life in prison , mental hospital or something else (I know in real life he wouldn't even stand trial but lets just say you had the choice of his fate).?

Ask the custody officers to slip him some poison on the way to mad people hospital
Yeah of course, but the opponent also wanted to physically hurt him too. They were both aware of this risk and still went ahead with it.
Reply 69
Original post by Eggs20
1) Person A gets into a fight with person B. A punches person B and B falls and hits his head of a pavement and dies. How many years would you sentence A to?

2) Man beats a paedophile he caught molesting his child to death. At first it was an act of defence but soon it turned to an act of revenge and the man unnecessary ( by that I mean it wasn't self-defence) brutally beats the child molester to death. Would you sentence this man to prison?

3) A driver who has had black outs in the past blacks out while driving- hits and kills a few people. Would you sentence him to jail if he had a history of black outs?

4) A severely mentally ill man with schizophrenia goes on a massacre killing many people after hearing voices in his head telling him he must commit this for the greater good of mankind and to save his soul. Would you sentence this man to life in prison , mental hospital or something else (I know in real life he wouldn't even stand trial but lets just say you had the choice of his fate).?

1) 5-8 years depending on reason
2) 1-5 years
3) 5 years and driving ban
4) Life in mental hospital
Original post by Eggs20

1) Class as unintended man slaughter but in the circumstances probably 3 years however reduced sentence if good behavior

2) Pedophilia, rape or sexual abuse of any kind is absolutely disgusting in my eyes and in the specific case I'd be reluctant to sentence him whatsoever.

3) Depend on the fact if the driver had been told he could not drive due to these reasons but chose to disregard this. If so then definitely would as it would be his fault

4) Mental hospital/ Care facility
Yeah of course, but the opponent also wanted to physically hurt him too. They were both aware of this risk and still went ahead with it.

All violence carries with it a risk of death or severe injury; a 'severe' sentence like 10 years will teach idiots not to fight.
Exactly! They both consented to the risk of death or severe injury.

If instead of dying, the guy gets a black eye (and his opponent suffered no injuries) would you still sentence the guy who caused the black eye to jail?
Exactly! They both consented to the risk of death or severe injury.

If instead of dying, the guy gets a black eye (and his opponent suffered no injuries) would you still sentence the guy who caused the black eye to jail?

Therefore they should no be surprised if it happens and should expect appropriate punishment to ensue

It would depend on why they were fighting tbh; if it was a stupid bar scuffle then the aggressor should get a fine or something. If it was in self defence again, the aggressor should get punished.

The OP didn't really give a context why the fight happened so it's really hard to make a judgement
If it was a bar scuffle, the guy who happened to land a punch that left a mark should be fined? but the other one who probably tried very hard to injure his opponent is treated as a victim who receives compensation? Nonsense. Just because he lost the fight doesn't mean he's innocent.

I don't think it was self-defence, I think it was just a fight that had an unfortunate end. 10 years is way too much, you've only given such a long term because it resulted in death, which isn't fair. The starting term would probably be something like 10 years, but after all the mitigating factors, it'll easily be reduced to something like 2-4 which imo, is fair
If it was a bar scuffle, the guy who happened to land a punch that left a mark should be fined? but the other one who probably tried very hard to injure his opponent is treated as a victim who receives compensation? Nonsense. Just because he lost the fight doesn't mean he's innocent.

I don't think it was self-defence, I think it was just a fight that had an unfortunate end. 10 years is way too much, you've only given such a long term because it resulted in death, which isn't fair. The starting term would probably be something like 10 years, but after all the mitigating factors, it'll easily be reduced to something like 2-4 which imo, is fair

I said the 'aggressor' i.e: whoever started the fight. Please read my comment again.
Where did I say anything about receiving compensation? Please don't put words in my mouth either. True, the other guy is an idiot for indulging in the fighting; but whoever started the fight (i.e: threw the first punch) was acting out of order

Such a low sentence isn't fair to the family of the man who was killed either? At my sixth form there was a member of admin whose son got killed on a night out by one punch. Naturally, they were devastated. 2 years is not enough even for manslaughter
If they both consented to the fight, why does is matter who hit who first?
I thought you meant the fine to go toward the guy who received a black eye. Still seems unjust though, why doesn't the injured guy get a punishment?

Their family need to understand that he accepted the possibility of serious injury/death as you said. It is unfortunate, but the result of death shouldn't be the driving factor to determine punishment. It should be the factors that led up to it and if they are justified.

If the punch was the result of a fight then I agree with a 2-4yr sentence. If it was completely unprovoked, I'd say around 8-10
If they both consented to the fight, why does is matter who hit who first?
I thought you meant the fine to go toward the guy who received a black eye. Still seems unjust though, why doesn't the injured guy get a punishment?

Their family need to understand that he accepted the possibility of serious injury/death as you said. It is unfortunate, but the result of death shouldn't be the driving factor to determine punishment. It should be the factors that led up to it and if they are justified.

If the punch was the result of a fight then I agree with a 2-4yr sentence. If it was completely unprovoked, I'd say around 8-10

Because if you hit someone unprovoked they have every right in the world to hit back in self defence. It's only right.

No, I didn't say that. Because he was the one who was physically attacked first (assuming here that the same man with a black eye is the one who was attacked first) If the man who attacked first got the black eye; then he deserved it

A death is a death, regardless of the events surrounding it. The family needs justice

I can't remember the full details, exactly. Look up Adam Rogers, Blackburn. I think they got into some kind of row with a chav and then the chav punched him; Adam fell over, cracked his head on the pavement and died
It's not unprovoked if they were both looking to fight eachother. When there's a fight, someone has to hit the other first.

Okay so if the man who attacked first is the one who died, why is it different? No a death isn't just a death, and not everything that leads to death deserves a lengthy sentence.

I just read about it, they sentenced his killer to 4yrs but he only served 2
It's not unprovoked if they were both looking to fight eachother. When there's a fight, someone has to hit the other first.

Okay so if the man who attacked first is the one who died, why is it different? No a death isn't just a death, and not everything that leads to death deserves a lengthy sentence.

I just read about it, they sentenced his killer to 4yrs but he only served 2

I think it's best if we just agree to disagree; neither of us is going to change either of the others views clearly

Disgusting. Our justice system is a joke; a life is only worth 2 years in jail?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending