The Student Room Group

Acorn Language Courses

I went on an Acorn Educational Exchanges work experience trip to Nimes, France last October (I've heard Acorn mentioned on TSR before so I think some people will know what I'm talking about!) and yesterday I got an e-mail newsletter from them about the language courses that they offer in France, Spain and Germany. I was aware that they offered courses but I hadn't really considered going on one up until now. After researching them a bit (the website is a bit confusing to navigate :s-smilie: ) I have decided that it would be a worthwhile thing to do before uni, to get my French up to scratch (I'm worried that everyone on my course is going to be better than me :frown: ).

I was thinking of doing a week long intensive course in Rouens and staying with a host family (by the way, the website is http://www.aeelanguages.co.uk)

Has anyone here done one of these courses/is going to do one/knows someone else who has been?! Can you tell me how you found it?
Winnipeg
I went on an Acorn Educational Exchanges work experience trip to Nimes, France last October (I've heard Acorn mentioned on TSR before so I think some people will know what I'm talking about!) and yesterday I got an e-mail newsletter from them about the language courses that they offer in France, Spain and Germany. I was aware that they offered courses but I hadn't really considered going on one up until now. After researching them a bit (the website is a bit confusing to navigate :s-smilie: ) I have decided that it would be a worthwhile thing to do before uni, to get my French up to scratch (I'm worried that everyone on my course is going to be better than me :frown: ).

I was thinking of doing a week long intensive course in Rouens and staying with a host family (by the way, the website is http://www.aeelanguages.co.uk)

Has anyone here done one of these courses/is going to do one/knows someone else who has been?! Can you tell me how you found it?

Hey!

I have done one of these courses, though not with Acorn. I went to Rome for 6 weeks to learn Italian with Language Courses Abroad - it was brilliant! I'm doing one in France for 2 months over the summer as well. I really recommend it - it's the best way to learn the language because all the lessons, grammar etc are taught in the language, and plus you're surrounded by the language the whole time and you learn loads. There's also a fantastic social life and you meet sooo many people, which I loved :biggrin:
It will give you so much confidence, and staying with a host family is also a really good way to improve you have to speak the language ALL the time. If you can afford the time or money I would suggest doing longer than a week to get more out of it, but a week will still help loads!
If you have any more questions or want any more info just ask. Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 2
xx Rebecca
Hey!

I have done one of these courses, though not with Acorn. I went to Rome for 6 weeks to learn Italian with Language Courses Abroad - it was brilliant! I'm doing one in France for 2 months over the summer as well. I really recommend it - it's the best way to learn the language because all the lessons, grammar etc are taught in the language, and plus you're surrounded by the language the whole time and you learn loads. There's also a fantastic social life and you meet sooo many people, which I loved :biggrin:
It will give you so much confidence, and staying with a host family is also a really good way to improve you have to speak the language ALL the time. If you can afford the time or money I would suggest doing longer than a week to get more out of it, but a week will still help loads!
If you have any more questions or want any more info just ask. Hope that helps. :smile:

Thanks for letting me know about your experience :biggrin: (I've PMed you btw)
Reply 3
Don't think that everyone will be better than you. They won't be. :smile:
Reply 4
wesetters
I got an email from them telling me I had the chance to win a language course in France :rolleyes:

That's the e-mail I got! I really want to win :biggrin: lol
Reply 5
wesetters
Bit wasted on me though :wink:

If you win the competition, can I go in your place?! ;dancejf; lol
Got the email also, to be honest even if I did win I wouldn't have the time...
Reply 7
Even if I don't win the competition, I'm *hopefully* going to Nice for two weeks! Can't wait :biggrin:
Reply 8
I e-mailed Acorn to request a quote of how much my trip would cost and was pleased to find that if I book by the end of this week (ie the end of April) I can get a 5% discount! :smile: I got phone call about half an hour ago and found out that I can now get even more money off - they made a mistake in the calculations. They're even reserving me a place on the course until Monday to give me more time to think it over and decide for definite that I want to go :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending