The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was just obssessed with Rolf Harris and Animal Hospital! I spent ages when I was little chasing my child minders dogs round parks pretending I was the RSPCA person trying to catch it! I was a special child! lol :p:
blondey

i get annoyed when i tell ppl i wanna be a vet, and they say why vet not doctor. i always respond with 'well why do u wanna be a teacher/fireman/lawyer and not a doctor?'... its the same difference, its just a career that i never considered. why do they see vets as second best doctors, its a different career. and we pick it for different reason, not because we cant hack it as doctors.

Blondey i agree- it's a totally different career, one i have never considered either.
I like you're response, v. good, heh heh. But what do you say when they reply to that "becuase i wasn't clever enough"?? just interested :smile:
Reply 42
tiny_tiger
I was just obssessed with Rolf Harris and Animal Hospital! I spent ages when I was little chasing my child minders dogs round parks pretending I was the RSPCA person trying to catch it! I was a special child! lol :p:

oh I LOVED that programme!!! Remember Snowy? Awww :frown:
Then there were the other ones that came along a bit afterwards, like Vets In Practice etc.

I've always been animal mad...I remember I had a pretend pony from the age of 4, which was when I started riding (REAL ponies, not pretend ones :tongue:)...I once left this pretend pony (called "Bobby") tied up outside a shop, and made mum and dad walk back and get him with me. Then there was the hobby horse i got for £1 from a boot fair. Parents said it was the best value for money on anything they've ever bought!
Reply 43
haha I definitely had pretend pets too. I think at one time I had a whole animal shelter in my basement and I would adopt out invisible dogs to my friends and their brothers and sisters.
Haha I had vet barbie and she had her own little surgery - very cool! Also about a billion My Beautiful Horses, Pound Puppies and Pound Kitties.

Everybody I tell I'm going to be a vet are really impressed too, probably more so than if I was going to be a doctor. My family - even really distant extended people - take pride in me being the first vet in the family. I have total support from all involoved and my friends think its great too. I can't imagine not having this support and I guess it makes the whole process so much more difficult without it. Maybe that explains why so few asians become vets? You have done extremely well to come so far without the support of your friends and family - kudos to you! (Im sorry if that didn't make sense but I've only just come across the word "kudos" and I think its pretty cool....haha).
Reply 45
Minnie Magic
Blondey i agree- it's a totally different career, one i have never considered either.
I like you're response, v. good, heh heh. But what do you say when they reply to that "becuase i wasn't clever enough"?? just interested :smile:

ive never had that response, they usually just shrug and slope away knowing theyve lost the argument! lol
on the 'when i was younger' discussion, i once put apple peelings out in the garden in the hope of attracting a pony... it didn't work though. and i had LOADS of pretend animals- mostly dogs and horses. Last Septmebr (2006) i hand reared 4 baby wild mice- i got some strange looks and comment from people especially when i brought them into school to feed them. but i haven't grown out of my love for animals!
Reply 47
)(--becca--)(
Haha I had vet barbie and she had her own little surgery - very cool!

I had one of these too.. still do hehe. I had pretend pets as well. My friends thought I was nuts haha
blondey
ive never had that response, they usually just shrug and slope away knowing theyve lost the argument! lol

maybe we should all think of some witty answers to give to the inevitable "why vet not doctor" question when we get asked. (if they ask they probably dont fully understand what's involved in the profession in the first place and i reckon we could get them going..)
i would be so tempted to see if people fall for it or not :biggrin:
what about
"because you get a free pet every year"
"we retire at 40"
etc

it reminds me of when i worked in america- i had these kids going for AGES, pretending i'd never heard of TV (or chocolate!) and told them we didn't have that in England :biggrin: it was great. (i think they deserved it though, for asking if i knew what TV was!). i mean i'm from england, not mars!
hehe heh. i was only playing and i told them the truth after.
Reply 49
lol thats hilarious! how long did u have them going for?

kids can be so dumb
blondey
lol thats hilarious! how long did u have them going for?

kids can be so dumb

the best part of a day :biggrin:

i felt a bit bad but they made it so easy by asking! i just played along... "TV.. what's that?"
Reply 51
Oh I had thousands of animal toys too...mostly horses and dogs and dolphins though. I got weird looks when I rescued this pigeon from the middle of the road, poor poor Percy :frown: We had him in the shed for a bit to keep him from the foxes but he was too ill and died not long after :frown:
I used to pretend our golden retriever was a lion, and once he was shark, somehow. He's a great dog, shame he's so old now...

Anyway, I'm the first person in my family to "do" anything. My cousin the same age as me wants to be a paramedic, but we're the first generation to go to uni or train to be anything in particular. So everyone's fairly chuffed, but we live in an age where EVERYONE seems to go to uni anwyay.
true sarah v the gov drive to get people into uni seems a bit silly when you can do degrees like golf course management, air conditioning and undertaking.
Minnie magic you may be interested in a book called something like '101 lies to tell small children'. it's very funny and has things like 'zebras have stripes so lions can barcode scan them' etc.
the 'why vet not doctor' : (this was posted by someone else on a previous thread, sorry can't remember who) 'I'd rather rectal a cow than a human' maybe not the thing to say to your granny tho! also 'we don't have to cope with the NHS'
it seems like everyone on this thread wanted to be a vet since they were very little, is that true? or did some of you decide later on? what made you decide to 'career change'?
Reply 53
Well, I was originally interested in going into geophysics when I was 12 because I was fascinated by plate tectonics, but I heard the vet call when I lost my dog to cancer, and I was so affected by it I started reading everything I could about cancer and developed an interest in it, which grew into me applying and subsequently getting into RVC.
Reply 54
Animal hospital inspired you? eek i feel old- it was james herriot on television for me lol!
Reply 55
i was addicted to vets in practice, i love truder (or however u spell her name)

that reminds me i saw an advert in the vet times the other day for a job at her practice Viking Vets! lol
Elizabeth :-)
true sarah v the gov drive to get people into uni seems a bit silly when you can do degrees like golf course management, air conditioning and undertaking.
Minnie magic you may be interested in a book called something like '101 lies to tell small children'. it's very funny and has things like 'zebras have stripes so lions can barcode scan them' etc.
the 'why vet not doctor' : (this was posted by someone else on a previous thread, sorry can't remember who) 'I'd rather rectal a cow than a human' maybe not the thing to say to your granny tho! also 'we don't have to cope with the NHS'
it seems like everyone on this thread wanted to be a vet since they were very little, is that true? or did some of you decide later on? what made you decide to 'career change'?

ha ha i can't believe there's actually a book called "lies to tell small children!"
did anyone read The Wasp Factory where that kid grew up believing the world was a moebius strip? <sorry so random....... :biggrin: >
Reply 57
Heheh, speaking of what people think of the degree...
I've just found my school's reporty thing (not sure -exactly- what it is...) for this school year and it says:

"There is a wide range of courses followed such as: Veterinary Medicine, Medicine, Law,
Languages, Psychology..."

about what people are doing after 6th form. I KNOW the vet med one is me, as I'm the only person who even applied to do it this year, and nobody went last year anyway. Teehee!
Reply 58
so wt if there are more girls!! i couldnt care less, but it does make us guys look like pimps wen we go out with bout 20 girls and 3-4 guys. feminine career?? wt a load of rubbish.
Reply 59
)(--becca--)(
Maybe that explains why so few asians become vets?

What do you mean by that, exactly? I have several 'asian' friends who have brilliant families and lots of support from them.

Latest

Trending

Trending