The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Nottingham Uni?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to study Politics, philosophy and economics at uni next year. I've received all my replies and the ones I'm really considering are Birmingham and Nottingham. My offer for birm is unconditional if I put them as my firm, but Nottingham is A*AA, which is probably achievable, but it will be really hard.

Should I stick with Birm, and go for the unconditional, or risk losing that and go for Nottingham instead, considering I might not get the grades? Does Nottingham have a hugely better reputation than Birmingham?

(If I put birm as my insurance the offer is AAB, but worried about not guaranteed accommodation on campus if it's not my firm)

Thanks in advance for any help!
You should firm the one that you want to go to. Don't let an unconcditional offer blind you when picking your future alma mater. If it was just a conditional offer, which would you pick?
Reply 2
Original post by Exceptional
You should firm the one that you want to go to. Don't let an unconcditional offer blind you when picking your future alma mater. If it was just a conditional offer, which would you pick?

I much prefer Birmingham as a uni, but I think if I got in Notts would lead to a better job?
Original post by rowse
I much prefer Birmingham as a uni, but I think if I got in Notts would lead to a better job?

Not really, no. There's only a couple of careers where Notts would help marginally (such as investment banking). Otherwise, employers aren't going to care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by rowse
Hi guys,

I'm looking to study Politics, philosophy and economics at uni next year. I've received all my replies and the ones I'm really considering are Birmingham and Nottingham. My offer for birm is unconditional if I put them as my firm, but Nottingham is A*AA, which is probably achievable, but it will be really hard.

Should I stick with Birm, and go for the unconditional, or risk losing that and go for Nottingham instead, considering I might not get the grades? Does Nottingham have a hugely better reputation than Birmingham?

(If I put birm as my insurance the offer is AAB, but worried about not guaranteed accommodation on campus if it's not my firm)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Being that you prefer Birmingham as a university, plus the fact that your offer is unconditional, I would suggest you choose Birmingham.

I think Nottingham and Birmingham are more or less on par nowadays, I doubt an employer would differentiate between a candidate from Nottingham or Birmingham. Frankly, they're both solid universities and you can't go wrong with either.

Good luck making your decision! :smile:
Original post by rowse

Very unlikely- so much of job applications are down to you as a person- what work experience you have, how well you can write an application/cover letter/answer the application qs/tests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending