The Student Room Group

Should our country be secular?

With the banning of the Lord's Prayer advert in Cinemas - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34893762 - I was just wondering what you guys thought on the issue.

Is religion really such a bad, out-dated thing?
Were they right to ban the advert?
Do we live in a tolerable society?
Blaspheming, like regular swearing. causes offence to many - should it all be treated in the same way or not?

Is it really better if we make every effort to be completely non-religious, as a country, when less than half us in the UK identify as atheists/agnostics?
It wasn't banned

the cinema decided it didn't want the business in case it offended

This was a commercial decision which they are entitled to make
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think there's any right or wrong here.

I can see why people are "outraged" that it was removed, but I can also see why it was scrapped.

I think we live in an extremely tolerable society, and if we were to become secular, we would lose a substantial amount of that tolerance.

Taking France as an example, you can quite clearly see where the UK would be without its religious tolerance.
Reply 3
Original post by FollowingJC24/7
With the banning of the Lord's Prayer advert in Cinemas - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34893762 - I was just wondering what you guys thought on the issue.

Is religion really such a bad, out-dated thing?
Were they right to ban the advert?
Do we live in a tolerable society?
Blaspheming, like regular swearing. causes offence to many - should it all be treated in the same way or not?

Is it really better if we make every effort to be completely non-religious, as a country, when less than half us in the UK identify as atheists/agnostics?

They did want to scare away all the moslims
Original post by demx9
They did want to scare away all the moslims

In case they burst into a puff of smoke when they hear the Lord's prayer?
I think people tend to mistake secularism for neutrality

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Viva Emptiness
In case they burst into a puff of smoke when they hear the Lord's prayer?

Or melt like the witch from the Wizard of Oz. It's what they're known to do,
I think our schools should be, at the very least.

I know some teachers who are sick teaching black ghosts sitting at the back of the classroom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending