The Student Room Group

Typo on application, noticed after sending it off!

I recently applied for a VS with Baker & McKenzie. Proofread it time and time over and so was dismayed when I read it the day after sending it off that I had written I attended CityLawLIVE 2016 - not 2015! Do I let this mistake slide, or do I email Grad Recruitment to acknowledge and rectify my mistake. Besides that, I think my application is very strong so I don't want this to ruin my chances.
Any advice/past experiences appreciated!!
While writing my personal statement, I mentioned meeting an influential figure at some point, but I could not remember his last name, so I decided to put down Stephen Something until I could find out what it was. However, it seems that I forgot about that little detail and sent it off just like that, only to realise months later going through old files lol. Not sure about your particular case, just wanted to share my story, but I wouldn't fret too much? They'll probably realise that you couldn't have attended the 2016 one, lol.
Original post by yeathclif
I recently applied for a VS with Baker & McKenzie. Proofread it time and time over and so was dismayed when I read it the day after sending it off that I had written I attended CityLawLIVE 2016 - not 2015! Do I let this mistake slide, or do I email Grad Recruitment to acknowledge and rectify my mistake. Besides that, I think my application is very strong so I don't want this to ruin my chances.

Personally, I wouldn't email them about that. It's not something that looks like false information (like typing the wrong event name) - it's obviously just a typo. They might not even notice it, and emailing them about getting one number wrong may just draw attention to it whereas they might just brush it off otherwise.
I feel pretty comfortable in saying that they won't even notice it.

If you had put liase or something of this sort they would see it as it is a common mistake. But getting the date wrong won't jump out at them and they won't notice it.

Don't under any circs tell them.

If you checked your app so thoroughly it was probably a good app - don't worry about it for one second more :wink:[

QUOTE=yeathclif;61361909]I recently applied for a VS with Baker & McKenzie. Proofread it time and time over and so was dismayed when I read it the day after sending it off that I had written I attended CityLawLIVE 2016 - not 2015! Do I let this mistake slide, or do I email Grad Recruitment to acknowledge and rectify my mistake. Besides that, I think my application is very strong so I don't want this to ruin my chances.
Very unlikely to sink a strong application. In any event there's nothing that can be done about it now - bringing it to their attention at this stage won't help anyone.
If it makes you feel any better, I sent out about 7 applications so far and all of them have had typos in some form or another. It always seems to happen matter how many times I check through them! I haven't had any PFOs so far, so I don't think Grad Recruitment even notices them. Don't worry, and just wait and see what happens!
Also, I told Slaughter and May in my cover letter that I wanted to attend their 2016 scheme, instead of their 2015 one. I also managed to bold it and put it in size 15 font. They still took me anyway. So please don't worry!
Original post by BookBird
While writing my personal statement, I mentioned meeting an influential figure at some point, but I could not remember his last name, so I decided to put down Stephen Something until I could find out what it was. However, it seems that I forgot about that little detail and sent it off just like that, only to realise months later going through old files lol. Not sure about your particular case, just wanted to share my story, but I wouldn't fret too much? They'll probably realise that you couldn't have attended the 2016 one, lol.

This made me laugh, thanks! Lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending