The Student Room Group

UCAS no refrence

Ive been waiting 3 weeks for my teacher to give me a reference. They are not replying to me now and I dont think they will get it done since they are quite lazy. Since i am a gap year applicant and the deadline is in 2 days can I just get my old boss to write one for me?
( i think I have posted this in the wrong forum)
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Drphil123786
Ive been waiting 3 weeks for my teacher to give me a reference. They are not replying to me now and I dont they they will get it done since they are quite lazy. Since i am a gap year applicant and the deadline is in 2 days can I just get my old boss to write one for me?
( i think I have posted this in the wrong forum)

Are you applying independently or with your old schools buzzword?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Are you applying independently or with your old schools buzzword?

Independently
Independently

If you have only been out of education for a couple of years then unis will expect an academic ref.

I would send the app off ASAP with your existing refs details. Getting it in on time is the priority, (today ideally). The ref will get an invite link to provide the reference once you submit the app. You'll then have a fair amount of time to chase them up politely because your choices will be very usy and won't look at your app for a while.

NB. The ref may have been waiting for the link and it will be a prompt that they need to do something.
Reply 4
I already sent them the link so I can send my application off and then they will be able to send my reference after ?
I already sent them the link so I can send my application off and then they will be able to send my reference after ?

I was under the impression that the ref link only got sent whe you hit submit to UCAS, but yes, fire it off to UCAS now and your ref can do their bit in due course. Even if it wasn't there by the time that unis looked at your app, they would usually contact you to sort it out rather than rejecting you.
Reply 6
I was under the impression that the ref link only got sent whe you hit submit to UCAS, but yes, fire it off to UCAS now and your ref can do their bit in due course. Even if it wasn't there by the time that unis looked at your app, they would usually contact you to sort it out rather than rejecting you.
How do I send the application off when the reference hasn’t been completed? Says mine is 93% complete and I cannot submit is there a way to force it through?
Original post by Isaacbr
How do I send the application off when the reference hasn’t been completed? Says mine is 93% complete and I cannot submit is there a way to force it through?

@PQ - Am I getting muddled here, should the ref request not go off when the app is submitted when applying independently?
Original post by Isaacbr

You need to RING UCAS NOW
They will need to reset your reference manually so that you can mark it as not required and submit to UCAS without a reference
@PQ - Am I getting muddled here, should the ref request not go off when the app is submitted when applying independently?

That's how it works through a centre - for independents it's shown as a section that needs to be filled in by the applicant (to add contact details), UCAS then send the referee an email and the referee has to login and add the reference before the reference section gets marked as complete.
Original post by PQ
That's how it works through a centre - for independents it's shown as a section that needs to be filled in by the applicant (to add contact details), UCAS then send the referee an email and the referee has to login and add the reference before the reference section gets marked as complete.

Then I am getting muddled! Thank you, had my postgrad hat on for a moment.

@Isaacbr - follow PQ's advice and submit the app without a reference after speaking to UCAS. Getting the app in today is the priority.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
You need to RING UCAS NOW
They will need to reset your reference manually so that you can mark it as not required and submit to UCAS without a reference

I rung UCAS yesterday and they told me to tell the universities that I would have to send the reference at a later date which I have done. How do I go about sending the reference now that my application has already been submitted?
Original post by Isaacbr
I rung UCAS yesterday and they told me to tell the universities that I would have to send the reference at a later date which I have done. How do I go about sending the reference now that my application has already been submitted?

Wait until you have your welcome email from UCAS

Then contact admissions at each of your universities and ask them if they will accept a reference sent directly (and if so where to send it to)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending