The Student Room Group

Spelling errors in personal statement

Hi! When reading through my ucas and my Cambridge application personal statements I just realised two spelling errors. One in my ucas is instead of et al,1985 I wrote et a,1985 which might be missed as it’s referencing ( I’m being delusional). The other one in My Cambridge Ap is instead of “understanding I wrote”understand,” which is extremely obvious. Would this be a major disadvantage? I heard LSE just rejected someone for SPAG issues (however it was to a highly competitive course which geography is not). I’m feeling my chances at LSE and Cambridge are deteriorating after these two incidents.
If you didn’t spot these when proof reading then it’s unlikely that anyone else would.

For future reference - when proof reading read your PS out loud and use a screen reader to read it out to you. This will pick up typos like this that aren’t flagged as mis-spellings by a spell checker
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! When reading through my ucas and my Cambridge application personal statements I just realised two spelling errors. One in my ucas is instead of et al,1985 I wrote et a,1985 which might be missed as it’s referencing ( I’m being delusional). The other one in My Cambridge Ap is instead of “understanding I wrote”understand,” which is extremely obvious. Would this be a major disadvantage? I heard LSE just rejected someone for SPAG issues (however it was to a highly competitive course which geography is not). I’m feeling my chances at LSE and Cambridge are deteriorating after these two incidents.

The checking process in your school should have picked these up.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
The checking process in your school should have picked these up.

None of my teachers managed to find them and I sent off my Cambridge one myself because we’re on half term… would this disadvantage me 😭
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
If you didn’t spot these when proof reading then it’s unlikely that anyone else would.

For future reference - when proof reading read your PS out loud and use a screen reader to read it out to you. This will pick up typos like this that aren’t flagged as mis-spellings by a spell checker

I will thank you. My ucas one wasn’t obvious but when rereading my Cambridge one I instantly noticed it which is so weird because I read it twice before sending it off and I didn’t find them at all😞
Original post by Anonymous
I will thank you. My ucas one wasn’t obvious but when rereading my Cambridge one I instantly noticed it which is so weird because I read it twice before sending it off and I didn’t find them at all😞

No need to stress at all. Admissions staff are not out there to block you from gaining entry into these Universities even though it may feel like that. Take a breath and relax - after all, everyone claims to know of someone rejected from XYZ University because of a SPAG error but I would hedge my bets that it's not all people are laying it out to be! The application process is holistic after all, and every element comes under consideration - all is well.
Hi there,

I wouldn't worry about this too much. Personal statements are there for you to show your drive and passion as a student and present yourself to the university. While SPAG is good to keep consistent, I don't think your acceptance will be determined on two little spelling errors and it may not be noticed.

Since you have already submitted I wouldn't focus on it as all you can do is wait. Just focus on other things such as schoolwork, hobbies etc and don tlet yourself get too worried about some mistakes.

Good luck with everything,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending