The Student Room Group

help!!!!when should you actually be applying?

I know oxbridge applicants apply in October and in general it ends in January. But what's an ideal time? If I wait to send off my application in early Jan would a lot of places already be gone for top unis?
Reply 1
Original post by clolikx
I know oxbridge applicants apply in October and in general it ends in January. But what's an ideal time? If I wait to send off my application in early Jan would a lot of places already be gone for top unis?

universities have to give all applications equal consideration so i don't believe they will fill all their spots before the jan deadline. some unis even wait until after everyone has sent in applications to send out offers. that being said, there are a lot of benefits to sending out your application early - don't rush it but my school is having everyone send theirs off by december to prevent people leaving it to the last minute and letting stress about applications interfere with mocks!!
Reply 2
Original post by haum3a
universities have to give all applications equal consideration so i don't believe they will fill all their spots before the jan deadline. some unis even wait until after everyone has sent in applications to send out offers. that being said, there are a lot of benefits to sending out your application early - don't rush it but my school is having everyone send theirs off by december to prevent people leaving it to the last minute and letting stress about applications interfere with mocks!!

thank youu for your reply, yeah ig it makes sense that they need to assess applications equally! tbh my only current motivation for waiting until jan is the fact that I will have my AS results by then. I'm an international student writing AS in like 3 weeks for the upcoming Oct/Nov session so I figured that having more concrete results (hopefully As lol) would make it easier for my reference to predict higher grades for my actual a levels.
Reply 3
All applications received for 31 January receive 'equal consideration' by all Universities.

Unis do not 'run out of places' because a) they make many more offers than they have places, and b) because offer making is staggered to ensure that all those eligible for an offer get the same chance.

Some Unis / courses do not make any offers at all until after the January deadline and many continue to make offers up to March / April. An 'early' application does not you any more likely to get an offer than someone else who applies in January.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending