The Student Room Group

Grammatical mistake on PS

Hello, I made a small grammatical mistake on my PS and didn’t notice it whilst proofreading. I wrote”and” instead of “at” and now that I see it, it sticks out like a sore thumb. My application already went through UCAS for law. I am worried how badly will this effect my application as I applied to some G5 unis.
Reply 1
There is nothing you can do about it and Unis are not going to reject you for one tiny typo - worry about something else.
I made a terrible error on my PS: I wrote the title of a book I read as "Introduction to [subject]" instead of its actual title, "Essentials of [subject]." It's a foolish oversight that slipped through my proofreading since I've read many other books beginning with "Introduction to..." and therefore didn't notice the problem. I've referenced the textbook so many times now (and likely mistitled it repeatedly) and never realized that I remembered the title incorrectly until today when I found the issue when recommending it to a friend. I'm worried that tutors will believe I did not actually read the book.
(edited 6 months ago)
If you didn’t notice an error in multiple proof readings and your teachers didn’t either then it’s unlikely that admissions staff will notice. They aim to scan read a PS in less that 1-2 minutes, they don’t pick over them with a finetooth comb
As above, almost no chance they'll spot it, and if they do almost no chance they'll care.

Original post by geologynerdUS
I made a terrible error on my PS: I wrote the title of a book I read as "Introduction to [subject]" instead of its actual title, "Essentials of [subject]." It's a foolish oversight that slipped through my proofreading since I've read many other books beginning with "Introduction to..." and therefore didn't notice the problem. I've referenced the textbook so many times now (and likely mistitled it repeatedly) and never realized that I remembered the title incorrectly until today when I found the issue when recommending it to a friend. I'm worried that tutors will believe I did not actually read the book.

This is a bit more egregious but you'd be amazed how many PS's I read that have'' UNIVERSITY NAME' or 'COURSE NAME' left in. So long as you've demonstrated afterwards that you've read and thought about the content you will almost certainly be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending