The Student Room Group

Physics/Thermodynamics question. Dont understand it at all, please answer?

A gas initially at 1 MPa, 500°C is contained in a piston and cylinder arrangement with an initial volume of 0.1 m3. The gas is then slowly expanded according to the relation
PV = constant
until a final pressure of 100 kPa is reached. Determine the work for this process.

2) Helium gas expands from 125 kPa, 350 K and 0.25 m3 to 100 kPa in a polytropic process with n = 1.667. How much work does it give out?
Original post by Helloboy123
A gas initially at 1 MPa, 500°C is contained in a piston and cylinder arrangement with an initial volume of 0.1 m3. The gas is then slowly expanded according to the relation
PV = constant
until a final pressure of 100 kPa is reached. Determine the work for this process.

2) Helium gas expands from 125 kPa, 350 K and 0.25 m3 to 100 kPa in a polytropic process with n = 1.667. How much work does it give out?

What don't you understand?

for the first question the definition of work for a non flow process is defined as:

W=V1V2pdvW= \int_{V1}^{V2} p dv

for the second question:

a polytropic process will have the relation:

PVn=constant PV^n = constant

now solve!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by trapking
What don't you understand?

for the first question the definition of work for a non flow process is defined as:

W=V1V2pdvW= \int_{V1}^{V2} p dv

for the second question:

a polytropic process will have the relation:

PVn=constant PV^n = constant

now solve!

still not getting the solutuion :frown:
still not getting the solutuion :frown:

post your working, I'll have a look :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by trapking
post your working, I'll have a look :smile:

Thanks a lot for your help, I have made progress, but this is the last question in my book now, on which I am stuck on.
Please guide me if you can on me on this?

A piston cylinder has 1.5 kg of air at 300 K and 150 kPa. It is now heatedup in a two step process. First constant volume to 1000 K (state 2) thenfollowed by a constant pressure process to 1500 K, state 3. Find the finalvolume and the work in the process.
Thanks a lot for your help, I have made progress

Glad I could help! :smile:

but this is the last question in my book now, on which I am stuck on.
Please guide me if you can on me on this?

A piston cylinder has 1.5 kg of air at 300 K and 150 kPa. It is now heatedup in a two step process. First constant volume to 1000 K (state 2) thenfollowed by a constant pressure process to 1500 K, state 3. Find the finalvolume and the work in the process.

Of the top of my head you have to apply equations to each process independently! So for state 2, constant volume process (i.e. isochoric) so if you think of a graph with pressure on the y-axis and volume on the x-axis therefore the work done is 0! For state 3 constant pressure (i.e. isobaric process) again using the same graph i described the work done will be the change in volume multiplied by the pressure i.e. the area.

To calculate the final volume use the ideal gas equation, PV = mRT where T will be the change in temperature. Hope that helps....you may need to double check some of those facts it's late so i might be rusty :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest