The Student Room Group

What extracurricular activities are best for investment banking?

Apart from getting high grades, going to a target uni and having a passion for finance, what extracurricular activities should I do to improve my CV for banking internships? I know everyone is part of an investment society but should I play a particular sport? I'm currently in sixth form so I am not sure what clubs I should join- I currently do a lot of volunteering and play badminton but I'm not that good at it so I won't be winning any trophies soon!

What can I do to show communication and leadership skills?
I'm particularly interested in trading.
Reply 1
Really? No response?
Original post by Coollad1999
Apart from getting high grades, going to a target uni and having a passion for finance, what extracurricular activities should I do to improve my CV for banking internships? I know everyone is part of an investment society but should I play a particular sport? I'm currently in sixth form so I am not sure what clubs I should join- I currently do a lot of volunteering and play badminton but I'm not that good at it so I won't be winning any trophies soon!

What can I do to show communication and leadership skills?
I'm particularly interested in trading.

The ones you care about the most...

Obviously the cliche answer is join a finance or investment society; but that's not enough. Do something that interests you and take a leading role.

Stop trying to fit things nicely into different 'boxes' that will gice you an edge. Think creatively about what you like doing, what you're good at and how you can show this to recruiters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hoping4Astars
Well I'm good at badminton but I'm not good enough to be coaching or leading the club at school. I volunteer at charity shops and do charity fundraising events but they are all run by someone else. I don't much big achievements in any extracurricular activities to be honest.

Why aren't you good enough? Why are you telling me you aren't good enough when you could try becoming good enough?

Great! In those charity events, do you ever coordinate things? Are you ever coming up with new ways to fundraise? New strategies of raising awareness?

These are questions you should be asking yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Why aren't you good enough? Why are you telling me you aren't good enough when you could try becoming good enough?

Great! In those charity events, do you ever coordinate things? Are you ever coming up with new ways to fundraise? New strategies of raising awareness?

These are questions you should be asking yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I had some ideas that got implemented and we ended up making the same revenue from fundraising as we always did. I started a campaign for a community centre during my NCS challenge with a team. I put in a lot of ideas.

But will this even slightly impress bankers? I mean most of them are captains of football team, lead orchestra performer, have senior positions in finance soc.
Original post by hoping4Astars
Yeah I had some ideas that got implemented and we ended up making the same revenue from fundraising as we always did. I started a campaign for a community centre during my NCS challenge with a team. I put in a lot of ideas.

But will this even slightly impress bankers? I mean most of them are captains of football team, lead orchestra performer, have senior positions in finance soc.

Yes, yes it will. It shows that you've actively taken part and didn't just attend to do the bare minimum. Achievements are measured on a personalised basis; if you can explain why yours are special to you, that's all they'll care about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
How do recruiters and interviewers verify the ECs anyway? Cant you just make up a few things and throw them in? Especially if it is about sports, etc.

Στάλθηκε από το LG-D855 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending