The Student Room Group

Extracurriculars for UK university application

I’m in year one of dp and am trying to think about what more I could be doing before I apply to unis, do UK unis care about extracurriculars and what kind do they look at before accepting your application? What could be extracurriculars related to econ or business?
Original post by 비디사육이
I’m in year one of dp and am trying to think about what more I could be doing before I apply to unis, do UK unis care about extracurriculars and what kind do they look at before accepting your application? What could be extracurriculars related to econ or business?

Hi 비디사육이

From my experience applying as an international student in the UK, I would say the extracurriculars are pretty important. That being said, it's all about how you present them in your personal statement.
Don't be afraid of mentioning experiences and activities that may seem unrelated to your course, because you are essentially showing that you are ambitious, curious about various things and wanting to learn more.
For example, for your area of interest like economics and business, I would say attending some conferences, seminars or meetings would look great on a CV or personal statement.

Good luck with applying,
Milena 🙂
MA in Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk
As someone in admissions that has seen more applications than I've had hot dinners; I can advise that unis in the UK chiefly care about relevant x-currics and more importantly, what you gained from them. IE. reflecting critically.

Do not waste space on unrelated hobbies, interests and activities. Get your ref to include them in the reference.
Original post by 비디사육이

Hi,

Definitely agree with the above - there isn’t really any specific required extra curricular activities but as long as you ensure they are relevant and can explained what you gained from it, then they will likely benefit your application.

E.g. How does what you did influence your interest / capability in the course you are applying for? This could even include additional reading / short courses that show a wider interest in the topic.

Best of luck with everything!!
Natalie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending