The Student Room Group

Should all universities other than Oxbridge, LSE, and ICL be shut down?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
i think that some degrees should be cut off from the traditional university system e.g. something like glass studies or yacht studies - basically pointless ones.

Its because of these degrees that we have to pay tuition fees and education SHOULD BE FREE!!!
Reply 301
Original post by meediaabid
Shut no university down, if we leave only the top three prestigious ones, myself and many others will not be able to get a degree

what do u think of the funding point of view? I.e. if we allow anyone to get any degree even if effectively worthless from employment point of view then funding is an issue hence students now have to pay loads - tuition fees!!!

Surely better if those going in for instance hair dressing should take an apprenticeship or training scheme that is practical based and independent of the university system
Thats a great idea, id say shut down ICL and LSE too so only the truly elite universities such as Oxbridge survive.
Original post by MathsMaster45
Thats a great idea, id say shut down ICL and LSE too so only the truly elite universities such as Oxbridge survive.

Hmm nah, shut down all in the world except MIT; it's top in the QS rankings and we only want the best to stay open
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Hmm nah, shut down all in the world except MIT; it's top in the QS rankings and we only want the best to stay open

Hmm id say each country should only keep their best university so America keeps MIT, UK keeps Cambridge, Switzerland keeps ETH and so on.. Every other university should be demolished and burnt to the ground imo
Reply 305
LOOOOL
Original post by Retrodiction
Well in my case it was the change of environment from high school to sixth form that really got me focused and doing well academically. I'm guessing you didn't have this experience, but there's no reason that such details from your personal biography should be the basis for this kind of exclusionary policy.

True, I haven't experienced the change of the step up from GCSE to A Level yet, so I am not in a position to judge or comment on those who do A level.
Original post by rend82
what do u think of the funding point of view? I.e. if we allow anyone to get any degree even if effectively worthless from employment point of view then funding is an issue hence students now have to pay loads - tuition fees!!!

Surely better if those going in for instance hair dressing should take an apprenticeship or training scheme that is practical based and independent of the university system

because everyone in this country deserves the chance to get a degree instead of being curbed by high academic requirements, as for funding, this country is good at a lot of things; however allocating funds is not one of them, if funding for degrees is a problem it's theirs
Oxbridge isn't a university.
Original post by ByronicHero

Now now, leave OP alone. He hasn't even been to university yet :rofl:
Original post by Student403
Now now, leave OP alone. He hasn't even been to university yet :rofl:

We simply mustn't countenance such egregious fatuity :rant:
We simply mustn't countenance such egregious fatuity :rant:

DOWN WITH AJTHEBEST! Hear, hear!

Oxbridge means the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge. I thought this was common knowledge on TSR.
Original post by anonwinner
Oxbridge means the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge. I thought this was common knowledge on TSR.

Pretty sure he was joking....
This thread just sums up TSR :rofl:.
Original post by Vaginal_Rights
So you want to deprive people of their higher education?

Sod off.

And what advantage is a degree in general studies at an ex polytechnique?
Everyone buying into this troll

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well as a uni student I would support that idea...

Basically, it would mean that my skills and value as a person because I have a degree would go up so more $$$ for me!!!
Original post by bobbybob12
And what advantage is a degree in general studies at an ex polytechnique?

If you go to to the Polytechnique known as X you are half way to becoming Prime Minister of France😈

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love threads like these. The lifeblood of TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending