The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Elements of the Gothic (LITB3) - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by r3cklesspixie
I was wondering whether anyone could let me know the exact mark I'd need in the exam in order to get an A this year?

I got 46/84 on the AS exam and 51/60 on the AS coursework (overall I was one ums off an A)
For my A2 coursework I got 52/60 which is a low A, what would I need on the exam to get an A overall?

So you got 159UMS last year right?
Your coursework UMS equals out as around 66 UMS out of 80 so you've so far got 225 UMS points for the A Level.

To get an A you need 320 UMS points so in the exam you will need 95 UMS so you will need roughly an A in the exam (which is 96 UMS points). That's about 28 on each essay I believe
Original post by eddso
So you got 159UMS last year right?
Your coursework UMS equals out as around 66 UMS out of 80 so you've so far got 225 UMS points for the A Level.

To get an A you need 320 UMS points so in the exam you will need 95 UMS so you will need roughly an A in the exam (which is 96 UMS points). That's about 28 on each essay I believe

Thank you so much!
I'm doing Frankenstein, Dr Faustus and The Bloody Chamber.

I'm really stressing out about the exam technique, does anyone have any good structure tips that I can use, I really need to get an A in this course!
How does Faustus achieve alot with his supernatural powers? Even if you view him as a Renaissance man, surely its easier to argue that he wastes his powers playing practical jokes and banging she devils...
Perhaps Marlowe's saying that despite having all the supernatural ability in the world, any intellectual pursuits are ultimately overpowered by primitive desires
Original post by sullyomo
How does Faustus achieve alot with his supernatural powers? Even if you view him as a Renaissance man, surely its easier to argue that he wastes his powers playing practical jokes and banging she devils...
Perhaps Marlowe's saying that despite having all the supernatural ability in the world, any intellectual pursuits are ultimately overpowered by primitive desires

One of the things that Faustus achieves with his supernatural powers, aside from the things linked to Renaissance, is that he exposes the corruption of the church and religious hierarchy, i.e. the pope.

It could be argued that Marlowe uses Faustus in order to expose these hypocrisies, and not necessarily condemn religion (as this would go against the ending) but rather expose the truth that we often turn blind to.

Without Faustus having these supernatural powers, we wouldn't have been exposed to the injustices the Pope commits, and whether knowingly or unknowingly, Faustus aids the escape of Bruno from this oppression.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kingaaran
For everyone studying Dr Faustus, do you think that Marlowe is commending or condemning religion and why? I'd like to see what other people think about this.

You could argue that he's condemning religion through the use of the Pope, the ending of the play (i.e. Faustus' psychological mental state) and the constant references to the Devil and his achievements etc.

However, I don't think that we could completely argue in favour of the above^. There are times when we can see the commendation of religion, such as the fact that there isn't actually any explicit reference to God/Religion being evil etc. We may hear of it from Faustus, but Marlowe quickly makes evident the fact that Faustus' knowledge is limited, such as when he begins to decide that the reward of all sin is death etc and not fully quoting the full quote from the Bible and his lack of understanding in matters such as repentance. In addition, surely Mephistopheles longing for things to return the way they were before he transgressed alludes to the fact that there is contentment and desire for religion.

Personally, I think Marlowe commends religion, and uses Faustus as a tool to expose the hypocrisies of religious hierarchy which ultimately concludes to the fact that people are evil/led astray, but not religion itself.

Marlowe describes Faustus' knowledge on divinity with exemplar language such as 'scholarship' which leaves us in awe of what he has achieved. However, the fact that nor Mephistopheles or Lucifer come to Faustus themselves, rather Faustus calls unto them, exposes human flaw rather than religious.

Also, the fact that Marlowe creates Faustus' character with limited knowledge yet full of conceit, this in itself is uncovering human flaw. We feel sympathy for Faustus towards the end of the play, and we begin to question religion throughout it, all comes back to the fact that we find fault in religion rather than human flaw (i.e. we momentarily forget all the wrong which Faustus committed), which I think is Marlowe's message.

This is contrary to Macbeth, where the witches themselves come to Macbeth. Hence, I view Faustus blameworthy of his own actions whereas I would argue that Macbeth had external influence (though both characters have external influence, Macbeth didn't directly call for the witches like Faustus called for magic/devils).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chanda01
You could argue that he's condemning religion through the use of the Pope, the ending of the play (i.e. Faustus' psychological mental state) and the constant references to the Devil and his achievements etc.

However, I don't think that we could completely argue in favour of the above^. There are times when we can see the commendation of religion, such as the fact that there isn't actually any explicit reference to God/Religion being evil etc. We may hear of it from Faustus, but Marlowe quickly makes evident the fact that Faustus' knowledge is limited, such as when he begins to decide that the reward of all sin is death etc and not fully quoting the full quote from the Bible and his lack of understanding in matters such as repentance.

Personally, I think Marlowe commends religion, and uses Faustus as a tool to expose the hypocrisies of religious hierarchy which ultimately concludes to the fact that people are evil/led astray, but not religion itself.

Marlowe describes Faustus' knowledge on divinity with exemplar language such as 'scholarship' which leaves us in awe of what he has achieved. However, the fact that nor Mephistopheles or Lucifer come to Faustus themselves, rather Faustus calls unto them, exposes human flaw rather than religious.

This is contrary to Macbeth, where the witches themselves come to Macbeth. Hence, I view Faustus blameworthy of his own actions whereas I would argue that Macbeth had external influence (though both characters have external influence, Macbeth didn't directly call for the witches like Faustus called for magic/devils).

But is religion not flawed in the extreme psychological breakdown we see it cause Faustus? Through the Good and the Bad Angel, do we not see Faustus' internal conflict externalised and, instead, being able to embrace his individuality, he is trapped liminally by the fear that is incorporated into the very fundaments of religion?

Faustus calls upon religion, that is very much true, but is this, also, not because it is his only ability to turn away from religion? In such an orthodox society, where everyone is religious, is perhaps the only way out to turn to the devil - not because it is the 'devil', per se, but because it represents a complete rejection of religion? Perhaps Lucifer and Mephistopheles aren't real devils, either: they are normal people who have also transgressed (or are transgressing with Faustus), but for the eyes of the spectators, are ascribed the labels of Lucifer and Mephistopheles - because of how shallow religion is in shunning out those humanists who desire just something more.
(edited 7 years ago)
Suggestions for main points for the question:
Some readers have seen the novel as an illustration of the fear of the power of science. To what extent do you agree with this view of the novel?
(Frankenstein)
But is religion not flawed in the extreme psychological breakdown we see it cause Faustus? Through the Good and the Bad Angel, do we not see Faustus' internal conflict externalised and, instead, being able to embrace his individuality, he is trapped liminally by the fear that is incorporated into the very fundaments of religion?

Faustus calls upon religion, that is very much true, but is this, also, not because it is his only ability to turn away from religion? In such an orthodox society, where everyone is religious, is perhaps the only way out to turn to the devil - not because it is the 'devil', per se, but because it represents a complete rejection of religion? Perhaps Lucifer and Mephistopheles aren't real devils, either: they are normal people who have also transgressed (or are transgressing with Faustus), but for the eyes of the spectators, are ascribed the labels of Lucifer and Mephistopheles - because of how shallow religion is in shunning out those humanists who desire just something more.

Interesting, but I would argue that once again, this is human flaw. The ability to conceive such extreme emotions. Religion itself cannot be blamed for the thought processes that run through humans. Faustus is one person who perhaps, according to the above paragraph, viewed religion as an entrapment, but not every human would think likewise. There is a difference between 'religion' being flawed, and the circumstances and upbringing of humans. Faustus was brought up in an extreme orthodox society which is perhaps why he views religion as entrapment. But this would then relate back to my point of the hypocrisy of the people around him and their behaviour, which Marlowe makes evident through the use of the scholars at the beginning of the play illustrating this orthodox society and exposes the hypocrisy via the pope. Marlowe's commendation of religion is made apparent when he introduces the old man at the end of the play. It's obvious that there's a dichotomy between the old man and Faustus' upbringing yet they're both from the same society. I would conceive all these to be human flaws, and not religious. There are a lot of Gothic tropes Marlowe uses to exercise this view, in my opinion, such as excess, extreme, entrapment and madness.
has anyone predicted the questions that could come up? & also, does anyone have a list of the elements which have already come up?
Hi guys,

I'm studying Dr Faustus, Frankenstein and The Bloody Chamber.

I'm hoping for Frankenstein for section A, I think it's just the perfect text for this exam.

Anyway, does anyone have some good exam technique tips, as I feel like my technique isn't quite there yet for this exam. Are we supposed to include all 4 AOs in each paragraph, and how should we go about evaluation to get into the top band in this paper?
Original post by Jedwards
Hi guys,

I'm hoping for Frankenstein for section A, I think it's just the perfect text for this exam.

Anyway, does anyone have some good exam technique tips, as I feel like my technique isn't quite there yet for this exam. Are we supposed to include all 4 AOs in each paragraph, and how should we go about evaluation to get into the top band in this paper?

Hey, I'm doing The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein, Macbeth and The Pardoner's Tale. I'm hoping to do TBC for section A because I'm hopeless with Frankenstein quotes, the only ones I know relate to the creature.

Try to include all 4 AOs because they're equally weighted, you can't get away with just ignoring one of them. I've found the best way to get top marks is to take one thing, it doesn't have to be big, and talk about a million interpretations of it. You can then talk about which is most likely (which will be your evaluative points) and link it to context and the difference in context of text production and reception
Original post by Jedwards
Hi guys,

I'm also studying the same texts as you.
Do you have any predictions for Frankenstein in section A this year?
Reply 233
He's a man of the Renaissance. He explores the world, learns about the stars, sees 'buildings fair and gorgeous to the eye', 'roads paved with the finest brick' and tastes 'delicate fruits'. The Renaissance focused on knowledge, aesthetics and architecture and I think Faustus does certainly become admirable in his pursuing and quenching of his Renaissance desires.

We might think there is nothing important in seeing buildings or the indian ocean or the stars, but by the humanist ideology of the Renaissance, it truly would have been something you would praised for doing.

I think we cannot say the Faustus towards the end of the play is the Faustus we started with. The Faustus towards the end is tormented by fear, as shown by the psychological nature of the last scene (I don't view it as literal at all). Faustus loses his rationality and disintegrates, losing his identity as the scholar 'excelling all' to a man who alternates indecisively between wanting to 'repent' to God to asking Lucifer to 'spare' him to be 'dissolved in the elements' - he truly lacks the rationality that we associated with the man we saw in the first scene.

The distinction allows Marlowe to condemn religion and the restraining and tormenting effects it can have.

I see what you mean, but could it be said that seeing 'buildings, fair and gorgeous to the eye' and tasting 'delicate fruits' are all things that could have been achieved without the powers he gained? So really, he doesn't gain much with his powers?
Original post by AqsaMx
I see what you mean, but could it be said that seeing 'buildings, fair and gorgeous to the eye' and tasting 'delicate fruits' are all things that could have been achieved without the powers he gained? So really, he doesn't gain much with his powers?

In the 'dark ages' that was the Medieval era, was there any other way to escape the forces of religion and explore without getting these 'magical' powers? These magical powers symbolise a detachment and rejection of religion and Marlowe shows that Faustus is able to become an ideal of the Renaissance because of this rejection of religion and the limitations of his society.
Studying The Bloody Chamber, Macbeth, Wuthering Heights and Frankenstein . Hoping for a good section A for Bloody Chamber, if not then Macbeth. JUst need to memorise as many quotes as possible now!! :bunny2:
Those are the three texts I'm doing any advice?
Original post by jessicamegan
Those are the three texts I'm doing any advice?

Quotes. Always quotes.

For Macbeth, the language is so rich that you can pretty much quote something in every scene/act . Ditto Bloody Chamber, but remember to focus on the Gothic concepts etc.

The way I'm revising is through looking at past essays and the examiner reports which go with them, as well as testing myself with flashcards etc.

Since it is a closed book exam, make sure you know your texts really well!!
Original post by supernerdural
Hey, I'm doing The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein, Macbeth and The Pardoner's Tale. I'm hoping to do TBC for section A because I'm hopeless with Frankenstein quotes, the only ones I know relate to the creature.

Try to include all 4 AOs because they're equally weighted, you can't get away with just ignoring one of them. I've found the best way to get top marks is to take one thing, it doesn't have to be big, and talk about a million interpretations of it. You can then talk about which is most likely (which will be your evaluative points) and link it to context and the difference in context of text production and reception

Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely trying to work towards doing that, as I've going over top band essays and they've all be working in brief alternative interpretations, some of which are just like a sentence or two, but it works so well.

I'm almost definitely doing Frankenstein for Section A haha, I love it because it just lends itself so well to the AOs.
Original post by r3cklesspixie
I'm also studying the same texts as you.
Do you have any predictions for Frankenstein in section A this year?

Nothing as of yet haha, I'm going to look over the trends at some point and try to work out what will come up. I got the AS exams pretty much spot on two years in a row (I retook it), so I'll let you know if I come up with any haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending