The Student Room Group

Contacting local Uni for tuition?

Just a quick question really; would it be at all rude of me to email a few members of my local universities mathematics department and query about wether or not they would be interested in tutoring me during A2 Maths? (paid ofc). I am struggling to find a local tutor on all the tutoring sites as they are either too expensive/too far away etc etc - I honestly cannot find a tutor that meets my budget and lives nearby! I do however live very close to the local uni.

I ask bcos i would be contacting said staff via their work email which is published on their websites - I feel a bit cheeky using it for this purpose. Thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by baeteke
?

tbh i imagine they'd all be too busy anyway
maybe you could ask if there was a first/second year student that would be willing to tutor you for a lower price
Original post by contradicta
maybe you could ask if there was a first/second year student that would be willing to tutor you for a lower price

This.

Have you looked in local newspapers for people advertising? Alternatively, trying contacting the maths society at the university and ask if they'll email their members (go to the student union website and look for societies/clubs to obtain an email address).
Tutorhunt or firsttutors is a good place to try. Have you tried Gumtree?

Failing that, there are online tutors through agencies.

If you don't manage to find anyone, at least maths is one of the easier A levels to self-teach :smile: as there's no coursework. There are TONS of resources online!

Quick Reply

Latest