The Student Room Group

Uni applications and fee

hello, I am a year 12 student and I come to uk study with BNO visa so if I live here for 6 years I can gain the British nationality. But if my grades are good I am going to uni in 2025 or 26 I am not sure but at that time I will be count as international student because I only have had lived 4.5 years only and I will have to pay 30k for a year instead of 10k if I don't want to pay 30k I need to take 2 gap years until I have the nationality but I know gap years is a worse idea for me cuz I know I will become lazy and demotivated to study. So if anyone know can international student but living in uk can borrow loan from government or if I pay international fee for first two years then in the third years I become to count as local people then swap the fee to 10k in the middle of course or any other chance I can pay less expensive...?
Original post by yr12 student
hello, I am a year 12 student and I come to uk study with BNO visa so if I live here for 6 years I can gain the British nationality. But if my grades are good I am going to uni in 2025 or 26 I am not sure but at that time I will be count as international student because I only have had lived 4.5 years only and I will have to pay 30k for a year instead of 10k if I don't want to pay 30k I need to take 2 gap years until I have the nationality but I know gap years is a worse idea for me cuz I know I will become lazy and demotivated to study. So if anyone know can international student but living in uk can borrow loan from government or if I pay international fee for first two years then in the third years I become to count as local people then swap the fee to 10k in the middle of course or any other chance I can pay less expensive...?

Hi there, we'd need to determine when you're looking to study and what your status in the UK would be to fully answer your question. Also our regulations and guidelines can always change each academic year so we wouldn't be able to confirm 2025/26 or the 26/27 academic year rules at this time. What type of course are you looking to study and the level or are you not sure at this time? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, we'd need to determine when you're looking to study and what your status in the UK would be to fully answer your question. Also our regulations and guidelines can always change each academic year so we wouldn't be able to confirm 2025/26 or the 26/27 academic year rules at this time. What type of course are you looking to study and the level or are you not sure at this time? Thanks, Jason

hi, sorry I am not able to send u private message so I have to reply you here. I move to uk with the BNO Visa like 3 years ago, once I live enough six years in UK I can have the British nationality it would be around 2026-2027. However if my grade are good I will be going to university in 2025 where at that moment I won't be count as local people so I need to pay as international student fee as I am thinking of doing Medicine or Law so the tuition fee is very expensive as international fee is 30k local is 10k .Therefore I was wondering if the first two years I pay as international student then on the third year once I have the nationality can I swap to pay as local poeple- 10k ? because google said No but I am not sure tho. For sure I don't want to take any gap years so I hope to get in uni in 2025 and do either Medicine or Law. Also I saw ur profile has official REP ? what is that mean ? just curious because I just join this student room website thing. thanks for replying :smile:
Hi there. 'Official REP' means we are employees of Student Finance England.
As Jason has mentioned, the residency/eligibility criteria can change, so we cannot comment for certain what this will be in 2025. However, currently for non UK/EU nationals, you would need to have Settled Status/Indefinite leave to remain granted before the start of your course, in order to be eligible as a home student. As per the current rules, you would not be able to change from international fees to home fees between Academic Years.

Please note, this is just general advice. You would be best to check this again when the time comes for you starting university, so we can provide the most accurate and up-to-date information. Thanks, Leah.
Reply 4
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. 'Official REP' means we are employees of Student Finance England.
As Jason has mentioned, the residency/eligibility criteria can change, so we cannot comment for certain what this will be in 2025. However, currently for non UK/EU nationals, you would need to have Settled Status/Indefinite leave to remain granted before the start of your course, in order to be eligible as a home student. As per the current rules, you would not be able to change from international fees to home fees between Academic Years.

Please note, this is just general advice. You would be best to check this again when the time comes for you starting university, so we can provide the most accurate and up-to-date information. Thanks, Leah.

hi, so for my current situation and the current rules am I be able to get study loan ? also from the current rules under what conditions I can get scholarship for example in London university ? lots of thanks.
hi, so for my current situation and the current rules am I be able to get study loan ? also from the current rules under what conditions I can get scholarship for example in London university ? lots of thanks.

Hi there,

We don't decide if you're charged international or home student fees, that is the decision of the university. They also decide on the scholarship criteria so you would be best speaking to them directly.

Thanks,
Claire

Hi,

the answer depends on what year you want to start studying and what your visa will be then. Here at York I'd recommend contacting our undergraduate admissions department directly as they'll have lots of answers for you. Their email address and phone number are here: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/

York also have lots of scholarships available so it's worth checking those out too :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by University of York
Hi,

the answer depends on what year you want to start studying and what your visa will be then. Here at York I'd recommend contacting our undergraduate admissions department directly as they'll have lots of answers for you. Their email address and phone number are here: https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/

York also have lots of scholarships available so it's worth checking those out too :smile:

thanks for answering my confusion, its really helpful I will check it now.Many thanks.
From Hilla
thanks for answering my confusion, its really helpful I will check it now.Many thanks.
From Hilla

You're welcome, have a lovely day. 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending