The Student Room Group

Efficency of a diesel generator

what is the efficiency of a diesel generator? I have to find that out and I have worked out that 1 MJ costs 2.61p and I have to then work out the fuel cost per kWh of the electricity produced?

ALL HELP APPRECIATED! THANKS :*
Original post by itsyahg
what is the efficiency of a diesel generator? I have to find that out and I have worked out that 1 MJ costs 2.61p and I have to then work out the fuel cost per kWh of the electricity produced?

ALL HELP APPRECIATED! THANKS :*

Work out what a kWh is in MJ, then it's just a simple conversion.
edit: Estimate the efficiency.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by morgan8002
Work out what a kWh is in MJ, then it's just a simple conversion.
edit: Estimate the efficiency.

I think that 1 kWh is 3.6 MJ, oh right so if I used eg, 60% efficiency, what would I do with that 60%? x
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by itsyahg
I think that 1 kWh is 3.6 MJ, oh right so if I used eg, 60% efficiency, what would I do with that 60%? x

Yes. You'd use it to calculate the output energy, using Eout=ϵEinE_{out} =\epsilon E_{in} , where ϵ\epsilon is efficiency.
Reply 4
Yes. You'd use it to calculate the output energy, using Eout=ϵEinE_{out} =\epsilon E_{in} , where ϵ\epsilon is efficiency.

okay then, i'm still quite confused what the energy input and output would be? x would I do 45.5 MJ (calorific value for diesel) x 60?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by itsyahg
okay then, i'm still quite confused what the energy input and output would be? x would I do 45.5 MJ (calorific value for diesel) x 60?

Remember it's 60%, so you would multiply be 0.6, not 60. The input energy would be the energy per penny in cost, because you want to find the output energy per penny in cost.
Reply 6
Remember it's 60%, so you would multiply be 0.6, not 60. The input energy would be the energy per penny in cost, because you want to find the output energy per penny in cost.

so it would be 0.6 x 2.61 = 1.57p per kWh????
Original post by itsyahg
so it would be 0.6 x 2.61 = 1.57p per kWh????

No. You've done pennies per kWh. It should be kWh per penny. Efficiency deals with energy, not cost.

Quick Reply

Latest