The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SonOfAGeek
Survived 2 History interviews at Catz.

The first was tough. On a source. They challenged everything I said, I had to say to one Q that I didn't see anything about it at all in the source and I've spent the last two days constantly thinking of better answers I should have given. It could/should have gone a lot better. In contrast I was more relaxed and felt I did better in my second interview. Overall I don't think they saw my best but I am relieved it is over.

I was another one who was asked to hang around for a bit on Friday but did not get called for another interview anywhere else. With hindsight I wish I'd got out/mixed more but Catz is a bit out of the way and terror of the notice board kept me close to it!

My gut feel is I've fallen short but I take some comfort from the experience of others. It is the waiting, and the residual hope, that will kill me.

Good luck to everyone else who has or will interview. Time to focus on Christmas!

I feel the same, glad it's over. Does everyone feel their first interview was worst than their second? Curious.
Original post by StationToStation
I can't believe this, my interviews start tomorrow and I'm ill! The cough is ok, I just really hope I don't get a fever so that I can at least think straight. This freezing to death with my coat on indoors is probably not a good sign though...

Dang. Hope you get better quickly. *concerned emoji* If not, hope the interviewers understand.
Original post by fablereader
I feel the same, glad it's over. Does everyone feel their first interview was worst than their second? Curious.

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DylanJ42
Arriving tomorrow for interviews and Im wondering whether or not to bring my laptop! Will we get access to the college computers etc during our stay (specifically st catz) or will we need to bring a laptop or something?

I brought mine to Merton, so I never asked about computers. The laptop also proves useful if you're wandering around, you can get free wifi in some places in Oxford such as the Ashmolean.
Original post by CatusStarbright
Well Oxford was awesome, but it's quite nice to be home again :smile:

I get the feeling. :smile:
Dang. Hope you get better quickly. *concerned emoji* If not, hope the interviewers understand.

Thanks! Oh the irony of me applying for medicine :tongue:

:rofl: get well soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

On a scale from one to ten, one being pit-of-hell-isn't-deep-enough and ten being soared-past-heaven, how good did you think your each of your interviews went? My first was a little over 2, and the second was 7.
On a scale from one to ten, one being pit-of-hell-isn't-deep-enough and ten being soared-past-heaven, how good did you think your each of your interviews went? My first was a little over 2, and the second was 7.

4 then 6 or 7

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
:rofl: get well soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!!

Even worse. Maybe you should prepare you own diagnosis. (Is that the right word? I'm not a medicine applicant.)
I brought mine to Merton, so I never asked about computers. The laptop also proves useful if you're wandering around, you can get free wifi in some places in Oxford such as the Ashmolean.

yea i decided I will bring it. Thats good to hear, thanks very much :biggrin:
Even worse. Maybe you should prepare you own diagnosis. (Is that the right word? I'm not a medicine applicant.)

Diagnosis is the correct terminology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
Diagnosis is the correct terminology

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's not just that ... I feel like 'diagnosis' isn't the right word, doesn't encapsulate the full feeling ... maybe add in something like 'prescription' and combine them into one word, that'll do it.

Lmao maybe I should... I chose some medicine from the pharmacy without asking for help so maybe I'm on the right track :biggrin:
Lmao maybe I should... I chose some medicine from the pharmacy without asking for help so maybe I'm on the right track :biggrin:

Prescription :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe. :biggrin:
2/7 but if past student experience is anything to go by I am probably hopelessly misjudging...still this exchange summed up my first interview

Dr.A How did the author use X to make point Y?
Me: "To be honest I didn't see him say that in the source at all. It may have been there but I don't remember it"
Dr. B "Well, yes...quite"

🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

Within seconds the penny had dropped but they were onto the next Q and all you can do is try to keep going.

If I did it again today I'd be far better but I can only hope they saw something other than blank confusion & stupidity!
Original post by SonOfAGeek
2/7 but if past student experience is anything to go by I am probably hopelessly misjudging...still this exchange summed up my first interview

Dr.A How did the author use X to make point Y?
Me: "To be honest I didn't see him say that in the source at all. It may have been there but I don't remember it"
Dr. B "Well, yes...quite"

🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

Within seconds the penny had dropped but they were onto the next Q and all you can do is try to keep going.

If I did it again today I'd be far better but I can only hope they saw something other than blank confusion & stupidity!

Same :tongue: they looked at me w/ judging eyes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi folks, I'll be heading down to Oxford in the morning (6am start for me...) for interviews for Maths and CompSci at St. John's. The support and advice that's been provided here has been really helpful and comforting over the last few weeks. I'm really looking forward to finally getting to visit Oxford (I couldn't make the open day) - but I have a feeling that my wallet will be allergic to Blackwell's :s-smilie:. Hope your interviews went well (if you've already had them), hope your interviews go well (if you're yet to have them), and in either case I hope you get good news come January 11th. And if you don't, I hope you succeed wherever you end up. If nothing else, you've taken a shot. Isn't taking a shot and missing better than not taking a shot at all?

Latest

Trending

Trending