The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex accommodation 2016

I'm strongly considering firming sussex and i need help choosing accommodation. I went to the applicant day yesterday and my favourite accommodation was Lewes court phase 1, Brighthelm and Park houses. I'm looking for halls that are super sociable, friendly and fun but where i can also get a good night sleep occasionally and not as full on as east slope haha. I also don't want somewhere super run down just like a good middle ground. Wondering if there are any current Sussex students that can tell what the best accommodation would be socially but that are also nice and wether i the ones i choose seemed like a good bet.
Reply 1
Hey I've put Sussex as my firm choice but i'm really worried because the accommodation doesn't look amazing. I'm going on an applicant day soon but could you guide me on what accommodation would be best for me? I really want to live with partying type people and with like quite a few of us in one place. However I like living in a nice place! I really want an en suite (but i don't mind sharing i think) I need a double bed and also like a really good nights sleep, like without sleep I am not the same person from the day before hahah!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by yamyam77
Hey I've put Sussex as my firm choice but i'm really worried because the accommodation doesn't look amazing. I'm going on an applicant day soon but could you guide me on what accommodation would be best for me? I really want to live with partying type people and with like quite a few of us in one place. However I like living in a nice place! I really want an en suite (but i don't mind sharing i think) I need a double bed and also like a really good nights sleep, like without sleep I am not the same person from the day before hahah!

Yeh its really hard. From what i've heard the ensuite has got a reputation for not being as social so i decided to stay clear of that even though i originally wanted it. Sharing a bathroom seems fine as they all get cleaned once a week and you have sink and mirror in your room. Unfortunately none i saw had a double bed but you could possibly ask as maybe a few do. From what i saw on open day i liked Lewes court phase one best, 2 toilets, bath and shower between 6 and big kitchen. I think sharing with 6 people should be pretty sociable as long as their party people haha. I did like Park Houses though because they looked super fun and sociable but sharing with 12 could be a tad much. So i'm not to sure but hopefully a sussex student can give us some advice!!
Reply 3
Sussex has loads of new accommodation? Don't worry about it being run down! A few of my friends currently go to Sussex and I visit quite often and stay over too. Every space is sociable in one way or another, as long as you've got house mates. It'd differ each year as to who you get in your accommodation, so you can't really determine which accommodation will be more friendlier than the other.

If you're looking for an en-suite and in a fairly new build, I'd suggest Northfield. You'd share a flat with around 6-8 people in Northfield. Or you can opt for a studio flat where you have your own kitchen and bathroom and private space, but one of my friends is staying in a studio flat in Lewes Court and she said it's been so hard for her to find friends, even though she goes out often. Because people tend to hang around and stick with their flatmates a lot. If you're looking for an en-suite closer to everything on campus, then I'd suggest Lewes Court phase 2, but it's one of their older blocks. The rooms in Lewes Court are quite a bit bigger than the newer builds though. Swanborough is also a good pick - it's right in the heart of the university and the buildings are new, but ofc that does come with a dearer price tag. The rooms in Swanborough seem to be the smallest too. I think I'm going to put Swanborough as my first choice though, purely because it's right outside the Jubilee Building for Business, Economics & Finance. And that's the subject area I've applied to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by pannyfrost
check my reply above :smile:

Thank you! I'm just still so undecided! There is so many to choose from and I want to make sure I choose the right one. This sounds a bit odd but where do the British people tend to stay?
Reply 5
Thank you! I'm just still so undecided! There is so many to choose from and I want to make sure I choose the right one. This sounds a bit odd but where do the British people tend to stay?

No don't worry I understand haha, it differs every year ofc because it's just people's own preferences. Though, according to my friend who stays at Lewes Court, most of the people who opt for the more expensive accommodation (like Northfield and Swanborough) are from abroad. And that Northfield tends to be populated with a lot of Asian people too. But that's just by her observation, not fact or stereotype.
Reply 6
No don't worry I understand haha, it differs every year ofc because it's just people's own preferences. Though, according to my friend who stays at Lewes Court, most of the people who opt for the more expensive accommodation (like Northfield and Swanborough) are from abroad. And that Northfield tends to be populated with a lot of Asian people too. But that's just by her observation, not fact or stereotype.

Let's be honest, it's probably fact, you just didn't want to come across as rude 😭😂 it's cool like I feel (generally) the Asian students are more to themselves and won't go out as much etc (typical stereotypes) so I just want to go with people who can have fun tbh. Which accom do you suggest for being with like cool, fun, good looking people? Most people tend to say lewes court phase 2!
Reply 7
Let's be honest, it's probably fact, you just didn't want to come across as rude 😭😂 it's cool like I feel (generally) the Asian students are more to themselves and won't go out as much etc (typical stereotypes) so I just want to go with people who can have fun tbh. Which accom do you suggest for being with like cool, fun, good looking people? Most people tend to say lewes court phase 2!

Haha well it's not like it's written down that Asians dominate Northfield!!😂Yeah I get what you mean dw😉I think it just very much depends on the type of flatmates you end up with and the luck of the draw. I mean you might end up with loads of stodgy people, even in Lewes. Phase 2 is only different because they have en-suites, but they all tend to merge with phase 1 anyway. I think people tend to say Lewes Court because it's more the standard housing, whereas East Slope is kinda grotty and run down, and Northfield is like the posh end of the spectrum. I've been to a party at East Slope and they literally trashed the place and didn't give two shits. And I've been to many Lewes' parties and they tend to take care of their stuff better. Just a general observation really. But a party is a party and if you're not f***ed off your face, then are you really doing it right anyway?
Reply 8
Just spoke to my friend who goes Sussex and she told me that her mate didn't get any of her top 5 accommodation choices even though she applied in Feb, and now she's stuck in East Slope😰
Reply 9
Haha well it's not like it's written down that Asians dominate Northfield!!😂Yeah I get what you mean dw😉I think it just very much depends on the type of flatmates you end up with and the luck of the draw. I mean you might end up with loads of stodgy people, even in Lewes. Phase 2 is only different because they have en-suites, but they all tend to merge with phase 1 anyway. I think people tend to say Lewes Court because it's more the standard housing, whereas East Slope is kinda grotty and run down, and Northfield is like the posh end of the spectrum. I've been to a party at East Slope and they literally trashed the place and didn't give two shits. And I've been to many Lewes' parties and they tend to take care of their stuff better. Just a general observation really. But a party is a party and if you're not f***ed off your face, then are you really doing it right anyway?

Haha tru!! right now I think I'm liking brighhelm, northfield or swanborough :// all of them are expensive but I want to stay somewhere nice in the end haha. Hopefully wherever I go I get put with the right people. Praying 😭
Reply 10
Just spoke to my friend who goes Sussex and she told me that her mate didn't get any of her top 5 accommodation choices even though she applied in Feb, and now she's stuck in East Slope😰

Oh dear! But surely they all can't be taken entirely. Would you happen to know anything about it?

no way😱I'm thinking about firming them as well oh god

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well this is not good news.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending