The Student Room Group

Bandwagon Leicester Thread I

Scroll to see replies

You couldn't blame him for taking up the offer but it's a shame really. Is he really what arsenal are looking for in any case?
Original post by Aky786UK
The start of the break up? Vardy's release clause met by Arsenal it seems. Leicester already seem to be identifying players to replace their main stars tbf but I'd think Vardy might not be a big loss compared to Kante or Mahrez. If they lost one out of the three then that'd be brilliant for them. Kante's exit rumours have quietened down compared to the start of the summer when Arsenal/Chelsea were rumoured to be in for him.

You mean the release clause that doesn't exist according to the reports when he signed the new contract a couple of months ago?

It's obviously not going to happen - just like when kante was supposed to be nearly done with a move to man city, who weren't even interested in signing him.
Original post by Aky786UK
The start of the break up? Vardy's release clause met by Arsenal it seems. Leicester already seem to be identifying players to replace their main stars tbf but I'd think Vardy might not be a big loss compared to Kante or Mahrez. If they lost one out of the three then that'd be brilliant for them. Kante's exit rumours have quietened down compared to the start of the summer when Arsenal/Chelsea were rumoured to be in for him.

Well even if this is true, just because a clause is met that doesn't mean the player will agree to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taking Leicester's players is a strategy the top clubs will be using to eliminate a competitor from next season. Vardy's career will be over if he goes to Arsenal. He'll play from the bench, decline in form as a result, get dropped and get sold to somewhere like Swansea.

Also I don't believe this story. If he was available for 20 million every club in the league would be activating the release clause.
(edited 7 years ago)
Pretty sure that Vardy leaving would not affect this team much. Kante and Mahrez on the other hand...
Vardy seems quite level-headed, regardless of the blocking lookalikes/racist abuse type of stuff. He may not see Arsenal as a progressive move, but at the end of the day, he's older than Kante/Mahrez and may feel it's his last chance saloon to play for an elite, elite club.

I'm surprised Wenger's willing to pay that much for a player aged 29.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You mean the release clause that doesn't exist according to the reports when he signed the new contract a couple of months ago?

It's obviously not going to happen - just like when kante was supposed to be nearly done with a move to man city, who weren't even interested in signing him.

Ah right, well, if it doesn't exist then you'd hope Leicester will try to get more than £20m that's reportedly been offered if they do allow him to go. I don't think Arsenal will go further than that - maybe up to £25m on installments.
In today's market I'd say Vardy is worth £40m, and £60m if you're Arsenal.
Original post by Neverdie

Ridiculous numbers but possible in a modern game where money is no object.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Ridiculous numbers but possible in a modern game where money is no object.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was also considering that Leicester won't want to sell him (unless he wants to go) and that the TV deal apparently spells the end of clubs selling to raise money.

Before the TV deal and if he was demanding a transfer, I would've said £20m or £25m.

How do you come to that?

Vardy has had one good season and is 30 in 6 months when reliant on pace... He's worth 20-30m.

I get the feeling he is being overrated here... Benteke consistently scored a few less over a few seasons - is 24 or so - and went for 30m.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 531
£15m at most
Seems to all be getting confirmed for £22m.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gob Bluth
How do you come to that?

Vardy has had one good season and is 30 in 6 months when reliant on pace... He's worth 20-30m.

I get the feeling he is being overrated here... Benteke consistently scored a few less over a few seasons - is 24 or so - and went for 30m.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was also considering that Leicester won't want to sell him (unless he wants to go) and that the TV deal apparently spells the end of clubs selling to raise money.

Before the TV deal and if he was demanding a transfer, I would've said £20m or £25m.

^^^
Original post by Gob Bluth
How do you come to that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When he's integral to the way we play? £20m is chumps change, particularly when Fleetwood are supposedly owed 25%. tbh I'd not sell him for £60m - what he'd actually be worth on the open market is irrelevant, it's what he's worth to Leicester - and putting a price on any of this squad is difficult, even more so the big three in Vardy, Kante and Mahrez.
If Ranieri keeps up his incredible transfer record, £60m would buy several players and Vardy wouldn't be missed much. It's not like they have to win the title next season either.

Ranieri's gonna get sacked in a couple of seasons for finishing 5th or something anyway.
Reply 536
If Ranieri keeps up his incredible transfer record, £60m would buy several players and Vardy wouldn't be missed much. It's not like they have to win the title next season either.

Ranieri's gonna get sacked in a couple of seasons for finishing 5th or something anyway.

He's made one great signing at Leicester, Kante
BBC saying Vardy will give his decision by tomorrow morning.

Arsenal fans can never moan about 'Cashley' again.
Giroud: "Vardy wants to play for Arsenal."
Leicester's current owners have only ever sacked a manager for disciplinary reasons. I doubt they'd be that hungry for success otherwise they'd already be planning a stadium expansion and making millions of pounds available on transfers

Quick Reply

Latest