The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I'm an awkward white girl and I can't rap Guns and Ships as fast as Daveed Diggs, I came close a couple of times. I can do Satisfied but yeah I'm the same, I just bury my face in my hands in shame when I see white people covering pretty much any of the Hamilton songs (except maybe Burn). I mean don't get me wrong when I'm on my own you bet I will perform the entire thing from start to finish but we just shouldn't do it in public, it's just embarrassing.

Soulmates. Just started a whole new Hamilton thread without this ridiculous title. Let's fangirl.
One of the main points of the musical is to show that the race of the founding fathers is irrelevant in their contribution to the nation. The focus instead is on the role of immigrants in the creation of the United States (Alexander Hamilton himself being an 'outsider'). At a time when many 'Americans' were more concerned with the interests of their state, Hamilton, a foreigner, managed to unite them. Miranda's casting of multi-racial actors and actresses in lead roles was a way to show this.

Not everything in this world is about the obliteration of a race.
(edited 8 years ago)
You're a year behind with your news.

Get back to me when you've made a thread about all the times white people have used art to (inaccurately) tell the stories of people of colour.
Original post by sjohnson98
Soulmates. Just started a whole new Hamilton thread without this ridiculous title. Let's fangirl.

i agree on fangirling but what the heck?
any race can sing hamilton! its for everyone to enjoy
lin manuel miranda said he wasnt casting based on looks but on talent!
i have seen some really good hamilton covers done by both people of color and white people
drop the race stuff!
not everything is about race

Latest

Trending

Trending