The Student Room Group

Severe binge eating and food addiction is ruining my life.

I am severely unhappy with my weight, which I wont disclose, and have been trying to slowly lose some for the past two years.
I exercise when I can.
But the main problem is, although I try not to restrict myself too much, I always EITHER end up overeating on junk food like crisps and chocolate, OR I will manage to avoid bingeing but then spend hours browsing through food websites and thorntons website etc staring at the pictures, often even (unfortunately) making impulse purchases because I crave certain foods so much.
I used to succeed in keeping trigger foods out of the house, but lately I just buy it and cant stop myself.
Its so widely available, vending machines shops and online retailers. its everywhere. I cant stop thinking about food, Im always hungry and I always feel like I need to fill this void in my stomach.
Yes I know I stress eat because Im lonely or sad but I cant help it.

I would sincerely appreciate any advice or similar experiences from you guys, please.
Serious answers please, dont make fun of me. I sound ridiculous but its something Ive been struggling with for so long.
Obviously you have an unhealthy relationship with food.

BEAT is the leading charity. It has a helpline as well as forums.
https://www.b-eat.co.uk/about-eating-disorders/types-of-eating-disorder/binge-eating-disorder

https://www.b-eat.co.uk/about-eating-disorders/leaflet-library/1351-beat-guide-to-understanding-eating-disorders
https://www.b-eat.co.uk/about-eating-disorders/leaflet-library/900-recovery-guide

the 2 guides are excellent and it helps if you understand what it is you are dealing with. the recovery guide gives you a structured way to deal with the situation.

You may need support so consider 1, your GP, 2. SU welfater services/ counseling 3. Beats helpline and forum. No need to be alone.

If its to do with diet, then its becayse you are over restrictive and not eating the right typs of foods. Girls are often impatient deny themselves too much , get fed up and then bing, then get guilty and startve themselves, but then get unhappy and bing.. rinse and repeat.

1. A healthy balanced diet will fill you up.
2. Eating moderately less than you need will help you lose weight.
3. Exercise can burn calories which measn you cna eat more.

Do read the guides they will help you defeat it.
Original post by Anonymous
I am severely unhappy with my weight, which I wont disclose, and have been trying to slowly lose some for the past two years.
I exercise when I can.
But the main problem is, although I try not to restrict myself too much, I always EITHER end up overeating on junk food like crisps and chocolate, OR I will manage to avoid bingeing but then spend hours browsing through food websites and thorntons website etc staring at the pictures, often even (unfortunately) making impulse purchases because I crave certain foods so much.
I used to succeed in keeping trigger foods out of the house, but lately I just buy it and cant stop myself.
Its so widely available, vending machines shops and online retailers. its everywhere. I cant stop thinking about food, Im always hungry and I always feel like I need to fill this void in my stomach.
Yes I know I stress eat because Im lonely or sad but I cant help it.

I would sincerely appreciate any advice or similar experiences from you guys, please.
Serious answers please, dont make fun of me. I sound ridiculous but its something Ive been struggling with for so long.

A few ideas

- find out why you binge eat - you have mentioned briefly that you when you feel sad or lonely, you may resort to binge eating. instead of trying to stop the behaviour, try to eliminate the cause. harder than it sounds - I know. But why do you feel lonely? Why do you feel sad? the less you feel this way the less likely you are to binge eat.

- what is it about the food you binge on e.g. - chocolate - high in sugar* - try and replace with e.g dark chocolate or chocolate with lower sugar content then gradually replace chocolate with healthier alternatives - for example dates - high in naturally occurring sugar, bananas, etc One step at a time. one food at a time.

- try to break the cycle - *watch "the truth about sugar" by the BBC. The documentary shows how by eating products with a high sugar content, your body will crave for them more.

- replace junk food with healthier junk food - for example Ben and jerrys ice cream - to a healthier alternative such as an ice cream suitable for vegans - will have less fat and probably less sugar - from what I have found anyway - you will trick yourself. another example is replacing fizzy drinks with carbonated water and e.g peach tea

- set small goals for yourself, for example to go x number of hours without binge eating, or by exercising x amounts and what you want to achieve in the long term e.g be healthier, lose weight. (Don't be upset with yourself if you don't always stick to them - it's a learning process). Write them down, stick them at the top of your laptop screen whenever you feel an impulse to buy food online.

- find alternative ways to manage different emotions and distractions

- get other people involved to motivate you and stop you from buying junk food

- start eating more raw food - will fill you up, meaning you're less hungry all the time. A good example of this - imagine you have a plate of oranges in front of you and a drink of orange juice - you will probably only feel able to eat one orange whereas, you will probably be able to drink 3+ glasses of orange juice. The trouble with drinking orange juice - which is high in sugar - is that your body doesn't realise that it's taking in as much as sugar as it is because it's consumed very fast, in an easy to digest format - sorry I probably could have explained this better but I'm tired

- we binge eat on food because our bodies can't find nutrients in it, and thus intake more.

- 'feeling hungry' -
....eat larger meals to prevent snacking
.... by eating apples and e.g. Celery which are - in calories
..... Try the "I am hungry" "ok so if an apple* was given to me would I eat it?"if yes eat something, if no, don't eat anything.
*any liked fruit

- surround yourself with websites/ videos that promote healthy eating, fitness, and the eating of healthy foods, block websites such as thorntons, and put all the money you would have spent on these foods in a tin - save up for something - will also a remind yourself why you are doing what you are doing

- try new foods

I hope I was able to help a little bit. Remember that this does get easier and that the less you eat junk foods the less you will crave them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
x

Original post by triphazards
x
Thank you guys, that makes me feel a bit better. I guess I just cant take my mind off food especially because, although I do have hobbies, I rarely have time to do them because Im so busy with college work and studying. And it goes bad because I hate studying, so in order to distract or reward myself from studying, I just eat....Does anyone know why it suddenly says my thread was created on 01-01-1970?Cause Im pretty sure thats not true. Considering I did not exist back then.:redface:
Reply 4
Original post by triphazards
surround yourself with websites/ videos that promote healthy eating, fitness, and the eating of healthy foods, block websites such as thorntons, and put all the money you would have spent on these foods in a tin - save up for something - will also a remind yourself why you are doing what you are doing

Oh my gosh thanks so much, I never thought of this before but I have just installed a website blocker and I really think that It will work for me! thank you for your advice

Quick Reply

Latest