The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

I thought it would be nice to start a thread on anybody doing these exams...as I can't see any thread for the AS Units!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How's revision going for everybody btw?
I have my mock exams next week and I'm a bit worried about socio!!
Reply 3
Original post by night_chxnnels
I have my mock exams next week and I'm a bit worried about socio!!

Yeah there is a lot to take in! How is your revision going?
Original post by xxvine
Yeah there is a lot to take in! How is your revision going?

It's going okay, I've been making condensed mind maps with sociologists names and studies and stuff like that, but I don't think I've left enough time to memorise the notes.
Original post by xxvine
I thought it would be nice to start a thread on anybody doing these exams...as I can't see any thread for the AS Units!!!!

Is this thread for the new specification for Sociology?
Reply 6
I still haven't started revising anything. :redface:
Reply 7
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Is this thread for the new specification for Sociology?

Thats a good question....i guess both lol!

I am doing the old spec.....
Reply 8
Original post by night_chxnnels
It's going okay, I've been making condensed mind maps with sociologists names and studies and stuff like that, but I don't think I've left enough time to memorise the notes.

you have loads of time

revision is about quality not quantity

i know people who have revised for ages and did worse than people who revised two weeks before...

its about exam technique as well
Original post by 3mmz
you have loads of time

revision is about quality not quantity

i know people who have revised for ages and did worse than people who revised two weeks before...

its about exam technique as well

yeah you're right, I had the education mock yesterday and it was fine only the two marker threw me off because I didn't know it :/ but I think the rest was okay ( I hope)
Can anyone define 'parentocracy'? The definition in the book is weird.
Original post by popcornjpg
Can anyone define 'parentocracy'? The definition in the book is weird.

Rule by parents. Based on the ideology of parental choice of school.middle class parents can benefit from parentocracy as they have more economic and cultural capital
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Are most of you doing the new spec?
Reply 13
Original post by Shaziye
Rule by parents. Based on the ideology of parental choice of school.middle class parents can benefit from parentocracy as they have more economic and cultural capital

My broski Gerwitzzz

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have any of you started making revision notes? I feel like my notes are too long. For example, for theories of education, I have a three page word document of the entire thing but I do feel like that is quite a lot.
what do you think thats more likely to come up for the old spec for unit 2 education
(edited 8 years ago)
Have any of you started making revision notes? I feel like my notes are too long. For example, for theories of education, I have a three page word document of the entire thing but I do feel like that is quite a lot.

You're lucky yours are 3. Mine are like 7 on average. But once you go over it properly and start writing essay questions, you realise that you don't need half the names that you thought you did and then you can cut it down because some names are for 1 line theories that are sometimes irrelevant
Original post by LenniesRabbit
You're lucky yours are 3. Mine are like 7 on average. But once you go over it properly and start writing essay questions, you realise that you don't need half the names that you thought you did and then you can cut it down because some names are for 1 line theories that are sometimes irrelevant

How do you find the essay part of the education and family papers? The other bits are usually quite easy for me, I'm good at remembering definitions and knowledge, but remembering names and studies is just a PITA.
How do you find the essay part of the education and family papers? The other bits are usually quite easy for me, I'm good at remembering definitions and knowledge, but remembering names and studies is just a PITA.

Haha, we are literally the complete opposite. I suck at memorising but essays are alright. I did get 20/20 once, but it was probably because I had typed it and spent a lot of time on my criticisms. Otherwise I get stuck at 14/20 for almost every practice essay.

In terms of essays, the evaluation part is literally the be all and end all of your mark. If you can't evaluate, you're screwed because it's a huge part of the AO3 or A02 marks (can't remember which).
In terms of writing essays my biggest fears are putting to much informaiton into one paragraph and wasting time. Not evaluating properly or quickly picking a really short, vague sociologist and theory that I can't criticise but cant cross out either cause it wastes time xD How are you finding the essays?

Also I was wondering if you could tell me in detail how you memorise names and dates/definitions?
I don't remember any dates at all, I don't think I'm going to try. I just use flashcards. And yes, I'm in the same boat, I almost always get 15/20 on my essays. I typed one up today and I think it's good but I'm not sure if I could pull it off in the exam, would depend on how many names and studies I manage to remember.

Quick Reply