The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Is it possible that the essay will be on Marxism or functionalism in the role of education I really hate this topic
Realistically anything is possibke because it's a new soec, it's so frustrating that educational policies seem to be making it harder to do well.. maybe ive spent to long on this topic and have gone sociology in the brain 😭
Do you have to put in current affairs to do well??
Original post by Rachypoox
Realistically anything is possibke because it's a new soec, it's so frustrating that educational policies seem to be making it harder to do well.. maybe ive spent to long on this topic and have gone sociology in the brain 😭

I know and it's frustrating that this test doesn't even count towards our final grades
Do u need to evaluate your 20 mark essay like this for unit 2? Like let's say a question on ethnicity comes up, do u need to evaluate it with like class differences? Saying that class differences play a bigger impact for example?
Original post by starshine909
Do u need to evaluate your 20 mark essay like this for unit 2? Like let's say a question on ethnicity comes up, do u need to evaluate it with like class differences? Saying that class differences play a bigger impact for example?

Yeah you need to do at least three paragraphs about ethnicity and evaluating each point at the end if you can and then you'd do one evaluation paragraph on either class or gender and then a conclusion
Method in context is messing with my head, I've never done a proper lesson on it, what is it????
Original post by Mollynoble
Yeah you need to do at least three paragraphs about ethnicity and evaluating each point at the end if you can and then you'd do one evaluation paragraph on either class or gender and then a conclusion

It's better if you evaluate with the other perspectives as you go along than doing it at the end the examiner will be more impressed by it and you'll gain higher marks
Original post by Bubbles98
It's better if you evaluate with the other perspectives as you go along than doing it at the end the examiner will be more impressed by it and you'll gain higher marks

Can u show me a model essay on this please? I just want to see the structure on it

The question will always be on internal and external factors with gender, class and ethnicity I thought?
Original post by 10studentlife
The question will always be on internal and external factors with gender, class and ethnicity I thought?

I can't understand how u can evaluate let's say gender with ethnicity? Ahh

Off the top of my head I don't have one for gender ! But say you were talking about Mat dep causing ethnic underachievement you could say why class does play an imp part it doesn't override infl of ethnicity eg mc bl pupils do worse than mc Asian pupils! Just wee points like that to gain extra marks

Also you can also mention at the start that ethnic underach is the most complex and it is important to remember that class and gender 'cut across' it's affected by interplay of all 3
Okay I feel that the education 20 mark for the new spec will be: Evaluate the view that underachievement of boys is due to internal factors.
OR
Evaluate the view that the main role of education is to reproduce class inequality. These two predictions are based on absolutely nothing so dont focus on it tbh, just a hunch.

You dont... You always evalutate with an external/internal factor depending on which they state in the question
Reply 334
Ive done barely anything can someone give me a starting point so I can cram
Original post by asedf
Ive done barely anything can someone give me a starting point so I can cram

Educational policies and Methods in Context...

http://revise-sociology-aqa.tumblr.com/AS
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Workangel_24
Educational policies and Methods in Context...

http://revise-sociology-aqa.tumblr.com/AS

Do you think ed (soc) policies will come up since it was on both papers last year
Is citing the specific sociologists really important? I can't remember them for the life of me. :cry:

Good luck for tomorrow, everyone.
Do you think ed (soc) policies will come up since it was on both papers last year

It could or could not come up because it's the new spec... it was on the specimen paper for a 10 marker
Original post by GeorgiaStardust!
Is citing the specific sociologists really important? I can't remember them for the life of me. :cry:

Good luck for tomorrow, everyone.

You only have to learn about 3/4 theorists for all the theories e.g. For Marxists = Althusser, Bowles and Gintis, Bernstein etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending