The Student Room Group

Fast tracking A-Levels as a Private Candidate

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to find information on how one would go about fast tracking A-Levels as a Private Candidate, but I haven't found much information on it.

There's an Examination Centre a few miles from my house, so is it just a case of booking myself on all modules in one go for my chosen subjects, rather than them being spaced out over a couple of years?

My local college offers fast tracks, as do various distance learning sites. But as I said above; there's an Examination Centre not far from my house so I'd prefer just to go down that route. Prices are reasonable too.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know how the new A levels will work, but I'm halfway through doing that with the 'old' ones and yeah, you just do it in whatever timescale you want, and book yourself in at the centre. Personally I think paying online colleges or whatever for course materials is a waste of money - books and Internet are fine - but you do need some sort of tutor support if you want a good grade. Especially you need help past papers.
Reply 2
Original post by afinnuk
I have been trying to find information on how one would go about fast tracking A-Levels as a Private Candidate, but I haven't found much information on it.
There's an Examination Centre a few miles from my house, so is it just a case of booking myself on all modules in one go for my chosen subjects, rather than them being spaced out over a couple of years?
My local college offers fast tracks, as do various distance learning sites. But as I said above; there's an Examination Centre not far from my house so I'd prefer just to go down that route. Prices are reasonable too.

As a private candidate you just take the exams in the Summer when you are ready so fast tracking is a bit of a meaningless concept. You have just missed the main entry deadline for this summer but you could still pay late fees and enter or wait for next year (entry deadline is always 21 February although I'd recommend contacting the centre in late Autumn as it can take time to find a centre that will accept you and sort out the details).

What subjects are you intending to do and when? Coursework is always difficult to arrange as a private candidate and, as the exam specs are all in the process of changing, you need to make sure you are taking the right specification for the right year.

Quick Reply

Latest