The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Accommodation

Hi

I've accepted a conditional offer from Huddersfield University as I hope to go there in September. However I'm not sure as to which halls of residence to choose.

Is there anyone on here who is currently at Huddersfield, or is going to Huddersfield Uni in September that has any advice on accommodation?

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josh Wormley
Hi

I've accepted a conditional offer from Huddersfield University as I hope to go there in September. However I'm not sure as to which halls of residence to choose.

Is there anyone on here who is currently at Huddersfield, or is going to Huddersfield Uni in September that has any advice on accommodation?

Thanks

Hey Josh,

Just thought we would chip in and help!

All the halls can be found AccommodationForStudents and HudLets.

If you have any questions about Aspley House & Little Aspley House, or Castings House - I'll be happy to help.

Hopefully other TSR's who live at the other halls could provide some insider knowledge too.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Hi Josh, I live at Kingsmill this year which is lovely - if you've got any questions I'm happy to help!
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply Katy, I've being looking at Storthes Hall and Ashenhurst. I have read mixed reviews about both, however I did expect this as every person can have different views and opinions. If you don't mind me asking, which halls would you recommend for a first year as from the reviews and threads that I have read, a large majority tend to go to Storthes? Or is this not the case?
Reply 4
Storthes Hall is a pretty good all round introduction to University Life however it certainly is not the most modern in any sense of the word. You'll also find the community is very varied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Copied from my other post
---------------------------------------
TL;DR- Personally I would recommend snow island for its quality and costs.

Stay away from Aspley house (currently staying there) is not worth the money if you're unlucky you'll get one of the really old rooms where everything is falling apart and the staff are not very helpful. Very difficult to make friends.

Storthes Hall is cheap you get what you paid and good place for 1st years but being so far away from the uni and everything else is not worth it.

The best advice is to go and see the accommodations yourself but be careful the only show you the best of the best so don't be fooled.
----------------------------------

I would personally recommend snow island (unite's cheapest accommodation) some my friends are currently staying there this year. They have cleaners coming to clean the kitchen, I know this doesn't sound like a selling point but when you realise how lazy everybody is about cleaning you will been thankful. It's close to the university, they tend to keep first years in the same flat. You'll get your money's worth

I'm currently staying in Aspley house, I can confirm you don't get what you pay for. When I first moved in there was stuff left over from the previous tenants. The kitchen was a mess all of the areas were covered in oil and dead flies. One of my flatmates room stunk of cigarette. One or more of your lights is guaranteed to go out. Now let's talk about maintenance, at the beginning they were quick to respond to my issues however after Christmas they seem to neglect our issues it took over a month for someone to fix the lock on my door, this is not an isolated case. From speaking to other tenants we all came to the conclusion the staff don't really care as more time goes on. And as for friends you're out of luck especially if you're in little Aspley, majority of the tenants are international students who sometimes are lacking in the English department so it's very difficult to make friends with them not saying it's impossible but most people stick to their own i.e. if you don't speak their language chances are their not going to talk to you.The only pro is the size of the rooms compare to other accommodations.

If you're interested in making friends most first years are in Storthes Hall personally I don't think the 20 minute bus ride is worth it as currently some of my friends staying there and when there's a last-minute cancellation ( lecturers and what not) it's super annoying. and if I remember correctly have to pay if you're taking the bus after 9 PM so this makes hanging out late quite difficult.
Hi Josh,

If you live locally you can arrange a viewing at Storthes Hall Park. Alternatively, you can give us a call (01484 270145) and we'll be happy to answer any questions that you might have :smile:

We have a really exciting development taking place this summer which we'd love to share with you.

Good luck in your search!

Many thanks,

DIGS team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending