The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Accommodation during placements?

So I’m currently looking into studying paramedicine at Surrey and I live far up north so will need accommodation.

After looking at the accommodation my first question is:
During the mandatory placements, do I have to move out of my uni accommodation?

Secondly:
Is it relatively hard to reach placements, will they be far away so I’ll need an hour bus every day?

Finally:
Im quite worried about second/third year accommodation, is it harder to get/more expensive?
Original post by DaleT
X

Hello DaleT,

I'll try my best to answer some of your questions:

After looking at the accommodation my first question is:
During the mandatory placements, do I have to move out of my uni accommodation?

Firstly what course are you looking to study at Surrey?

With regards to this question, you will usually have to move out of your university accommodation for placement year as students on placement year tend to be ineligible for university accommodation however you are guaranteed university accommodation once you return from your placement year. You can find more detail on this here: Accommodation | University of Surrey, however I think that this will depend on your course and its structure so it's probably better to ask admissions.

This PDF for 2024/25 academic year has more information on what the allocation process is like and as said Students returning from a Professional Training Year abroad are guaranteed for accommodation. Students not eligible for accommodation include those on a placement year, studying part-time, writing up, assessment only or resitting part of their course, those who are absent or withdrawn, and occasional students: residential-accommodation-allocation-document-2024-25.pdf (surrey.ac.uk) (This is subject to change in the future).

Secondly:
Is it relatively hard to reach placements, will they be far away so I’ll need an hour bus every day?

This will entirely depend on where you choose to do your placement and what course you're doing. Is there a specific course that you're looking to do at Surrey? For example paramedics have mandatory placements that they're given at random, so you can't choose where to go. The university can help you with accommodation and travel questions nearer the time, and won't leave students in a bad position.

In my case for example I will be going on a Placement Year (as opposed to having placements throughout the rest of my course) abroad next year as I do a Languages degree and I was able to choose what type of placement I wanted to do and where.

Finally:
Im quite worried about second/third year accommodation, is it harder to get/more expensive?

This will depend on your circumstances, many students tend to move out and go into a house share for second/third year and with some exceptions, you aren't always guaranteed accommodation so it can be harder to get. The cost of accommodation will obviously also rise due factors such as inflation.

In my case however, I was guaranteed accommodation for my second year at university thanks to the support offered Disability and Neurodiversity team. In my circumstances the cost of my accommodation was much cheaper this year than it was in first year and I was offered the same type of room as last year (Band F) for cost of a band C/Standard room.

Let me know if you have any more questions and you contact the accommodation team here: https://accommodation.surrey.ac.uk/contact-us

For more specific questions you can contact admissions here: Admissions enquiry form | University of Surrey or call +44 (0)1483 682222.

Imane
Second-Year Languages Student
(edited 1 month ago)
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending