The Student Room Group

Accommodation for Uni

Everyone’s starting to receive offers, and I was wondering when you’re supposed to start applying for uni accommodation? Is it after results day or before then?
WAY before if possible!

From experience, accommodation starts going up in November, so in the next couple of weeks, rooms should start being advertised and it’s first come, first served.

However with results day being in August (and not much choice as most places will be gone by then), it’s kind of a hard decision for someone about to start their first year…
Original post by eleanor.sarah
Everyone’s starting to receive offers, and I was wondering when you’re supposed to start applying for uni accommodation? Is it after results day or before then?

It depends on the uni. Usually nothing is allocated until you firm an offer. Some want you to name preferences but there's no guarantee that you will get one of them.
Reply 3

Hiya,
I was supposed to be going to uni this year but dropped out before moving. Once you have chosen your firm and insurance, your firm choice will let you know their accommodation system. Where I was going, we reserved our accommodation in May. On results day, if we didn’t get in we would lose our accommodation. If you got in you then paid a deposit and the room was fully reserved for you. I assume other unis do similar things. Hope this helped!
Original post by Scienceisgood
WAY before if possible!

From experience, accommodation starts going up in November, so in the next couple of weeks, rooms should start being advertised and it’s first come, first served.

However with results day being in August (and not much choice as most places will be gone by then), it’s kind of a hard decision for someone about to start their first year…

Really? I was under the impression accommodation was only given once you had gotten in and firmed your uni offer. Which unis offer accommodation independently?
Original post by jjess(:
Hiya,
I was supposed to be going to uni this year but dropped out before moving. Once you have chosen your firm and insurance, your firm choice will let you know their accommodation system. Where I was going, we reserved our accommodation in May. On results day, if we didn’t get in we would lose our accommodation. If you got in you then paid a deposit and the room was fully reserved for you. I assume other unis do similar things. Hope this helped!

Amazing thank you!
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Really? I was under the impression accommodation was only given once you had gotten in and firmed your uni offer. Which unis offer accommodation independently?

I mean to say private accommodation. Typically I will try and go private because university on site campus accommodation is an absolute nightmare to get hold of, not that I tried.
I mean to say private accommodation. Typically I will try and go private because university on site campus accommodation is an absolute nightmare to get hold of, not that I tried.

Ah, I see. I haven't really looked at private accommodation. I'm assuming it's more expensive than uni accommodation?
WAY before if possible!

This is wrong - you sign a lease and your stuck - what if you miss your offer? Uni halls are best for first years as you aren't tied until you have your place.
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Ah, I see. I haven't really looked at private accommodation. I'm assuming it's more expensive than uni accommodation?

They can actually be a lot cheaper than university halls or same price, just for a shorter period of time as uni halls typically only last the length of the semesters, not over the summer.
Original post by Muttley79
This is wrong - you sign a lease and your stuck - what if you miss your offer? Uni halls are best for first years as you aren't tied until you have your place.

True but towards the end, it becomes remarkably easy to lose your accommodation as more often than not (at least in my experience in Bristol), there are more university students than accommodation slots available.

I deferred university this year with the intention of going back next year and even sorted my accommodation, albeit I had to bail on my housemates (I still feel like a dlck for it) as I was offered a VERY good offer by my employer just 2 months before my course started…

Managed to shift my accommodation within 2 days onto someone else (price was roughly £88 a week rent). Albeit I already paid 2 months rent by that point. 🤦*♂️

I looked into accommodation on the open day which I attended for the Universities which I was interested in.
I believe I applied for my accommodation in February after I had my offer.

Digital Ambassador Ellen

Hi there,
I found that it varies from uni to uni but it is a good idea to be familiar with your accommodation options for your university choices, just to make the process easier. I know here at Coventry on the open days you get to have a look around the accommodation options which can be really insightful! It's always great to be prepared when it comes to accommodation but I didn't apply til quite late and still got accommodation just fine so I wouldn't worry.
I hope it goes well,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador
Reply 12

If you haven’t got one yet I’ve got one available from September and it’s a studio

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending