The Student Room Group

Official OCR A2 Criminal Law 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have access to the mark scheme and examiner reports for the June 2015 Criminal Law paper?
Second what others have said about special study revision for consent, would appreciate if anyone had any notes to share or anything for the 16 markers on the different cases?
What do you guys think might come up for criminal law paper section A?
Reply 63
Original post by 0123456543210
People, how many pages do you usually write for Section A, B and C questions and how long does it take you? Exams are approaching, and I still can't write all the info needed for Section A qs in 50 minutes (takes me approximately 1 hour to write 5 1/2 pages):angry:

My teacher told us to aim for at least 5 pages for both section A and B. Hopefully in the exam the adrenaline will take over, my hand hurts so much haha. I have also firmed NCL uni :smile:
Guys what are your teachers predictions?? Mine got them all wrong last year :s-smilie:
How are you guys remembering cases and all of the tests? Any recommended strategies, please?
Reply 66
Original post by null.and.void.
How are you guys remembering cases and all of the tests? Any recommended strategies, please?

I have tried to write a list of cases and revise from it last year, ended up getting grade B, so would not advise to do so. I am now rewriting all the class notes and reading over them several times, it is easier to remember cases in the context rather than from a list. This works better for me personally.
Reply 67
Original post by Morgan_123
Guys what are your teachers predictions?? Mine got them all wrong last year :s-smilie:

I asked my teacher the same question, but she refused to answer, because then everyone would revise just few topics and if her predictions did not come true, everyone would miserably fail. All it is possible to say, is that consent, strict liability and special defences to murder should not come up because they were asked last year.
Reply 68
Original post by rilkat
My teacher told us to aim for at least 5 pages for both section A and B. Hopefully in the exam the adrenaline will take over, my hand hurts so much haha. I have also firmed NCL uni :smile:

From my recent mocks, I can say that about 7 pages for section A is pretty much perfect for getting all the marks. For section B, though, 3-4 pages seems to be enough, as you are expected to think more in problem questions than in the section A.
Newcastle is great, it's refreshing to see criminal law not being taught in the first year. Can't wait to do Contract and Land.:biggrin:
Original post by 28657
I have tried to write a list of cases and revise from it last year, ended up getting grade B, so would not advise to do so. I am now rewriting all the class notes and reading over them several times, it is easier to remember cases in the context rather than from a list. This works better for me personally.

Likewise! What about the content and all the chapters, if you learn all the 11 chapters, to get an A or above, you'd need to remember 88 cases (since you'd need to mention at least 8 cases per answer)...! How is that going?
Any tips on how to get 90 UMS for both Criminal Law and the Special Study examination?
Reply 71
Likewise! What about the content and all the chapters, if you learn all the 11 chapters, to get an A or above, you'd need to remember 88 cases (since you'd need to mention at least 8 cases per answer)...! How is that going?

I feel like by reading my notes over and over again, I'm remembering all the cases and information needed. However, it also feels like when getting to the end of my notes, I start forgetting the stuff I have learnt at the start. This drives me crazy.
Original post by 28657
I feel like by reading my notes over and over again, I'm remembering all the cases and information needed. However, it also feels like when getting to the end of my notes, I start forgetting the stuff I have learnt at the start. This drives me crazy.

It seems to be driving me insane too. What grade are you aiming to get this year? I need an 80 UMS for both units in order to meet my university requirements.
Reply 73
It seems to be driving me insane too. What grade are you aiming to get this year? I need an 80 UMS for both units in order to meet my university requirements.

I've got lucky with a university offer, so all I need is a B. However, to stand a chance later in qualifying, I need at least an A.
There is so much to revise! Is anybody missing some topics?
Hiya! I put this in the A Level exam thread directory (which you can find here) use it to find discussions about your other exams Let me know if I've missed one out or if you make a discussion thread yourself!
Reply 76
What is everyone's teachers predications for the Special Study paper 34 marker???
Has anyone had an example Q2 essays given to them by their teacher for the special study paper? The only essay title we've been given is ''There are limits to anyone's right to consent to the infliction of harm on themselves' (source 4, line 1). Discuss how and why the courts have restricted the availability of the defence of consent to s.47, s.20 and s.18 offences under the Offences Agaisnt the Person Act 1861.'
Do we have to learn case DATES??? I am learning the cases ok but it is just the dates that I really struggle with.

Can I still get an A with OCR without any case dates but plenty of cases???

Thanks!!!
Original post by Lucy Helps
Do we have to learn case DATES??? I am learning the cases ok but it is just the dates that I really struggle with.

Can I still get an A with OCR without any case dates but plenty of cases???

Thanks!!!

You need 8 cases/acts to get full marks and dates of cases aren't needed but dates of Acts you need to remember :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending