The Student Room Group
I don't think there is much point in going to a Scottish university with the intention of only staying for 3 years- what is the point? If she definetley only wants a 3 year degree she'd be better off going to England and still get her honours. Honours is, obviously, a "better" degree as you do more work for it. Why come somewhere if you're not even happy about the length of the course? Its 4 years for a reason.

As far as I'm aware, you can leave after 3 years with a general degree, and the 4th year is the actual honours, but some of the work is done in 3rd year too. I think the ammount of people doing this varies between universities. At the "traditional" universities it is less common, whereas at the newer ones it happens more frequently. My boyfriend is going into 3rd year at Napier, and apparently a lot of students leave before 4th year.

In Scotland, the first and second years are made up of a very general programme. I love it. Everyone studies 3 subjects they've chosen once arrived at university, and then in 3rd and 4th year concentrate on their main degree subjects. My friends in England, on the other hand, are doing a geography degree so have only studied this subject, whereas I have taken 3 subjects this year. There is much more flexibility in the Scottish sytem, which again I think is a great thing.
Most employers will look for a degree with Honours and are more likley to take an Honours graduate over someone with a straight BA (or MA from the ancient universities). For example if you were studying a BA (Hons.) in Politics and left after third year you would just have a BA in politics and no honours degree.
There is the possibility of direct 2nd year entry in certain subjects. However, may I enquire why 1 year is so important? It's only a year, you'll be working for far longer. In my opinion the scottish system is far, far superior to the english system generally as one can explore more subjects to a higher level and really get a good feel before committing oneself to a particular area.
Reply 4
Thanks for reply :smile: ... i will consider these .

Latest