The Student Room Group

Classical studies v Ancient history

Hi, I have 2/5 offers so far but I'm trying to look ahead as to which uni I would most like to attend (pretending I get all offers). I've recieved KCL AB offer for ancient history and Edinburgh unconditional for classical studies. I'm waiting on Cambridge (classics 4 years) and Durham for ancient history and finally St Andrews for classical studies. St Andrews would be my top pick in terms of uni life and where I see myself however im wondering if I haven't considered the others fully. I like the course at KCL but haven't fully considered the thought of living in London for example. All advice welcome, thank you :smile:
live in London for a postgrad degree, not undergrad. presumably you know about the 4 year degree structure at St Andrews?
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone
live in London for a postgrad degree, not undergrad. presumably you know about the 4 year degree structure at St Andrews?

Hiya, yes I do , I'm a Scottish student so that's the normal route for most. I think this is probably going to be my plan as I think my interest lie more in line with academia rather than getting a job straight out of uni. Thank you!
When I was a history student quite a few years ago; I ran into one of my old class mates form high school. He told me that he had decided to study ancient greek and latin. I thought: "what a waste of energy! There are no new books, and he cannot write or speak the language anywhere." I was wrong, because three months before he had finished his degree he was overwhelmed by job offers and requests for assistance from catholic priests, historians and God knows what. He finished as a student only to move his papers over in a secure and well paid job. While I, who had specalized in late victorian literary culture, come a dime a dozen, he was unique.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending