The Student Room Group

GCSE choices for future lawyer

Scroll to see replies

If you're good at music (play an instrument) I'd recommend taking that. TBH what's likely to having more impact on your career right now is not whether you take soc. or music but how rounded you become in terms of your interests and also how you learn to balance work and relaxation.

Sociology is not something you'd learn much about at GCSE anyway so you might as well wait till A Level to take it if you're interested.
Original post by nessie.ldn
Yes i've heard that law is a disadvantage but why? Also unfortunately in my school psychology is an A-Level subject only.

i think its because people are snobby. very few public/highly academic sixth forms offer it whereas a lot of less academic colleges do. although i can imagine its good to be able to test the water a bit, but i can imagine experience would be far more respected by a prospective university than a grade on a piece of paper
So if i wanted to do MFL should i do my own home language (polish) or french since im one of the tops students in it?

Do french its a more spoken language worldwide and you could always do polish outside of lessons if you're good enough?
Reply 23
Original post by ermintrude1999
Do french its a more spoken language worldwide and you could always do polish outside of lessons if you're good enough?

Im planning to do both polish and french. Is it going to be better for me as a lawyer to know 3 languages?
Im planning to do both polish and french. Is it going to be better for me as a lawyer to know 3 languages?

Languages are respected by everyone and makes you stand out above other candidates regardless of uni course/job, my mum did French at Degree and trained as a lawyer - never used it in her career but i guess it could open doors to international law opportunities in the UK.
Hi, i'm in year 9 and im chosing my options this week and I need to decide between sociology and music.. Music is one of my favorite subjects but i dont think it will help me to become a lawyer. And i haven't done sociology yet and once i pick i cant change the subjects. Could someone please get back to me and help me decide if i should do sociology or music? Also what subjects would you advise me to pick..

Although it is extremely good to pick a instrument you want to do something that will benefit you for your future so sociology would be a great choice
I have the same problem
I’m starting to choose for what I want to do for my GCSE’s and I want to become a lawyer so the subject that you should choose including math English and science the other two you should choose are geography and buisness or sociology.
Hi I’m a Y8 and I will be choosing my subjects soon for my GCSE’s. I would like to work somewhere in law and I want to know wether I should choose geography or history but enjoy geography more, should I do something I like better or for my future job. Also what do you do Insociology because I don’t know wether I should do art or sociology
Hi, i'm in year 9 and im chosing my options this week and I need to decide between sociology and music.. Music is one of my favorite subjects but i dont think it will help me to become a lawyer. And i haven't done sociology yet and once i pick i cant change the subjects. Could someone please get back to me and help me decide if i should do sociology or music? Also what subjects would you advise me to pick..

GCSE make little difference as long as you have Maths and English plus grade B in the ones you want to do at A level.

Imo 100% music because you like it and to the extent it is relevant only the grade matters.
Music may also help you relax and so benefit other studies.
Unis care little enough about A level choice and not at all about GCSE.

Pick the GCSE you intend to take at A level and then your favourites you can get good grades in.

AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH 3 YEAR OLD THREAD.
(edited 5 years ago)
LMAO :biggrin: such a mood though - I accidentally do this all the time.
Original post by 999tigger
AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH 3 YEAR OLD THREAD.
Original post by Loki_Luna
Hi I’m a Y8 and I will be choosing my subjects soon for my GCSE’s. I would like to work somewhere in law and I want to know wether I should choose geography or history but enjoy geography more, should I do something I like better or for my future job. Also what do you do Insociology because I don’t know wether I should do art or sociology

If you are better at one than the other then choose that.
I like History because it teaches you important skills ideal for Law, but Geo is fine.
You need the better grade so do geography as you say you enjoy it more , dont worry its fine.

Be aware unless you are well organised with art then many students fall behind in coursework and they end up spending too much time trying to get their portfolio in year 11.

You can see sociology here.
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/sociology/gcse/sociology-8192/specification-at-a-glance
sociology is the best option, join a music class outside of school, i stuggled with the same thing and found that taking something i need rather than something i can do any other time is more effective

Quick Reply

Latest