The Student Room Group

GCSE French or Art

Hi
I picked my GCSEs a couple of months ago and I picked ethics, computer science, drama, history and French. I also did my Polish GCSE this year. However, I am now rethinking my choices and I don’t know if picking French would’ve been better than picking art, something I’m very good at.

I have a predicted grade of 6/7 in both French and art (bear in mind that I am in year 8) but I enjoy art more. Nevertheless, I don’t want to pick a subject that may not give me the same chance in future education.

If I were to make such a change to my GCSE’s, would this affect the chance of me getting into Cambridge or Oxford? I have been thinking about becoming a lawyer and even though I have one modern foreign language GCSE, would not knowing a third language affect my chance of getting into a law course? Throughout my life, I have always been aiming high and I would not like to do something that will restrict me from achieving my dreams. I have read that there are no specific GCSE requirements for Cambridge University and for a law course in the UK, however there must be certain subjects that will make an applicant more likely to be accepted.

In general, I’m predicted grades 8/9 in most of my other subjects and I will work hard to achieve those grades. I know that for french, quite a lot of thinking must be done and I feel like a subject where I can be more creative would benefit me, although if it would mean that my chances of getting into Oxford or Cambridge would be lower, then I would not want to do that.

Please help. I would like to make up my mind as soon as possible so that if a change would have to be made, it could be done before September.
hi! i did french last year and in my opinion it’s a great subject and shows a lot of skill if you score high grades. i think you would find it easier to get a 9 in french than art as art is more obscure and you have to be very creative (if that’s the type of person you are then go for it). in my french gcse and mocks it was easier to get higher grades as the speaking is very easy to get marks without being perfect, the same with writing. i struggled most with listening but if u revise enough u would get the hang of the pronunciation. i know tjat art can be a lot of work so it could be harder. i suppose it depends on ur plans in the future and whether you are aiming for a creative job rather than academic.
Original post by oliwia_naza
Hi
I picked my GCSEs a couple of months ago and I picked ethics, computer science, drama, history and French. I also did my Polish GCSE this year. However, I am now rethinking my choices and I don’t know if picking French would’ve been better than picking art, something I’m very good at.

I have a predicted grade of 6/7 in both French and art (bear in mind that I am in year 8) but I enjoy art more. Nevertheless, I don’t want to pick a subject that may not give me the same chance in future education.

If I were to make such a change to my GCSE’s, would this affect the chance of me getting into Cambridge or Oxford? I have been thinking about becoming a lawyer and even though I have one modern foreign language GCSE, would not knowing a third language affect my chance of getting into a law course? Throughout my life, I have always been aiming high and I would not like to do something that will restrict me from achieving my dreams. I have read that there are no specific GCSE requirements for Cambridge University and for a law course in the UK, however there must be certain subjects that will make an applicant more likely to be accepted.

In general, I’m predicted grades 8/9 in most of my other subjects and I will work hard to achieve those grades. I know that for french, quite a lot of thinking must be done and I feel like a subject where I can be more creative would benefit me, although if it would mean that my chances of getting into Oxford or Cambridge would be lower, then I would not want to do that.

Please help. I would like to make up my mind as soon as possible so that if a change would have to be made, it could be done before September.

hi! i did french last year and in my opinion it’s a great subject and shows a lot of skill if you score high grades. i think you would find it easier to get a 9 in french than art as art is more obscure and you have to be very creative (if that’s the type of person you are then go for it). in my french gcse and mocks it was easier to get higher grades as the speaking is very easy to get marks without being perfect, the same with writing. i struggled most with listening but if u revise enough u would get the hang of the pronunciation. i know tjat art can be a lot of work so it could be harder. i suppose it depends on ur plans in the future and whether you are aiming for a creative job rather than academic.
Oxbridge isn't going to care about whether you took art or french GCSEs, there aren't even any subject requirements for A-level (just 3As as well as LNAT). Pick the one you are the best at or enjoy the most.
In terms of Oxbridge, they only care about what grade you get, French is a lot easier to get a 9 in then art, art has a LOT of coursework and it is VERY difficult to get a 9 in, French in comparison is a lot easier.
Also the things about modern foreign languages (mfls) and more likely to get in isn't true, ppl who are more humanities based take more mfls and tend to apply to law more than stem ppl (who take less mfls), they also tend to be better at the LNAT, so that explains the skew... In the end it just goes down to passing basic entry requirements, LNAT (admissions test) and acing your interviews (supercurriculars). Your chosen GCSEs and A-levels don't matter (but the grades do).
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice, I chose to stay with French and hope this will serve me well in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest