Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm in year 13 atm and really want to go into IB preferably in FO as I heard that's where big salaries are made.

But I'm gonna be doing an art and media degree at Bolton as my a level grades were only predicted CCC. Don't know much about finance at all yet but would I have a good chance for getting into IB?

ReputationRep:
    This is irrelevant to your specific case but in terms of aiming too high.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)

ReputationRep:
    in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post61818311

you posted your credentials as

(Original post by Chloe573k)
    Type of programme: SW
    Division: S&T
    Banks applied to: so many many
    University: Oxford
    Degree subject: Fine art
    A-level grades: A*A*A*A
    Extracurriculars: swimming,piano,flute,harp, captain of netball team..etc...etc..
    First rounds received: CS, UBS, GS, JPm, Barclays, citi, BNP, HSBC, MS
    Rejections: none yet
    what to trust?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm in year 13 atm and really want to go into IB preferably in FO as I heard that's where big salaries are made.

But I'm gonna be doing an art and media degree at Bolton as my a level grades were only predicted CCC. Don't know much about finance at all yet but would I have a good chance for getting into IB?
    As above, min. req for a lot of the jobs in an IB (not just FO) is AAB. If I'm honest, I think it'll be quite difficult, also given you might not pass pre-screening. If it's really something you want, you might consider retaking your A levels, and reapplying to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)

awwwwwww I love that!

ReputationRep:
    Investment banking with an art and media degree? It depends how competitive investment banking is as a sector of employment, but it doesn't sound like a promising route of study towards where you are aiming. This is not so much aiming too high but rather aiming in the wrong direction.

Like the pp said, you might be better off repeating relevant a levels and reapplying to university later.

ReputationRep:

It says in another thread you study Fine Art at Oxford? Big difference, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    OP why troll?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post61818311

you posted your credentials as

what to trust?
    oh sorry thats not me, this is my bestfriends account, shes letting me use it. Should of made my own account haha
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    oh sorry thats not me, this is my bestfriends account, shes letting me use it. Should of made my own account haha
    Make a new one pls. It makes this account seem untrustworthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

people who have A*A*A grades struggle to get into IB rofl.

ReputationRep:
    No you won't get in unless you retake your a levels, do a more traditional degree at a more reputable university, get some experience, do some extra curriculars and do some networking. Otherwise you have almost no chance of getting in.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    No you won't get in unless you retake your a levels, do a more traditional degree at a more reputable university, get some experience, do some extra curriculars and do some networking. Otherwise you have almost no chance of getting in.
    Could also break in via years of experience + a top MBA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Could also break in via years of experience + a top MBA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True

ReputationRep:
    This little nugget

ReputationRep:

People talk about "Oxbridge" as though it means Oxford and Cambridge, but actually the "b" stands for Bolton. CCC shows consistency, which all employers like, and art and media is such a reputable course I'm surprised that you aren't CEO of JP Morgan already.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    People talk about "Oxbridge" as though it means Oxford and Cambridge, but actually the "b" stands for Bolton. CCC shows consistency, which all employers like, and art and media is such a reputable course I'm surprised that you aren't CEO of JP Morgan already.
    LOOOL, this is an awesome post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

If you're dedicated, nothing is impossible. Don't let nobody online tell you otherwise.

You have a few options. You're predicted CCC, work extra hard and get the best grades you can to get higher ucas points for when you eventually apply to banks. Still go to Bolton, do your first year. Get a really high first class and apply and move to a better school for second year. It's been done before. You probably want to go for a good school but don't take it to the head and apply for Oxford or something. It will be hard but if you actually go in person to several schools explain that you want to change courses. You should be fine but pick a sensible course.

Your other option: Don't go to university this year and do your second year at college again. Get predicted good grades. Apply next year to a good school and don't do arts.

Finally, go to Bolton ask if you could change course. Do something very quantitative. Perform really well. Apply to first year programmes. Internship etc. it's just that this way. You might not have the minimum ucas points needed.

Btw, money is important but what's the essence of money when you don't have the time to enjoy it? Think about this.

Best of luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.