The Student Room Group

BTEC Applied Science Choices

Currently studying the course finished the first year in my second year now, in the first year I got MM overall going for D this year so I will get DMM overall. Apart from biomedical science are there any other science courses that allow you to get into them with theses grades. Most prospectuses do not mention Btec requirements as they do not accept them.
I don't think you should choose to do a degree just because they accept BTECs. If you want to do biomedical sciences, focus on that. BTEC requirements will be listed on university websites; if you can't find them, it is always worth contacting the admission tutor to ask if they're accepted.
Reply 2
There are so many science based courses you could do and most unis do list the requiremnts you jusg have to look, usually it will be under other qualifications

Also that is not how you work out your overall BTEC grade, you may want to learn how to work out your final BTEC grade properly or you might get a shock when you recieve your results
Reply 3
Original post by yt7777
There are so many science based courses you could do and most unis do list the requiremnts you jusg have to look, usually it will be under other qualifications

Also that is not how you work out your overall BTEC grade, you may want to learn how to work out your final BTEC grade properly or you might get a shock when you recieve your results

How do you work out your overall grade then
Cuse I have been told I had achieved MM overall.
Reply 4
Original post by 23_Anom
How do you work out your overall grade then
Cuse I have been told I had achieved MM overall.

Where I think you have gone wron id you're saying that if you get a Distinction in the 2nd year you will get DMM for the course based on you MM in first year, this wouldnt work because the triple grade each is worth 1 A level and the first year grade (MM) is worth 1.5 A levels where the 2nd is worth 0.5.

So for each unit you will receive a grade and each unit has a credit value

you multiply the grade (Dist=9, Merit=8, Pass=7) by the credit value,in most cases this will be 10, but make sure you check on the website as sometimes they can be 5 or 20.

for example, if you get a Distinction in a single 10 credit unit you will get 90 points, 80 for Merit and 70 for Pass, work this out this for all 18 units (or just for all credits where you have some non 10 credit units) and add them up and you will get a total BTEC point score, for the extended diploma (180 credits) each grade maps to a points range, here is the mapping for the points->grades:

1250- = FAIL
1260=PPP
1300= MPP
1340= MMP
1380= MMM
1420= DMM
1460= DDM
1500= DDD
1540= D*DD
1560= D*D*D
1590+ D*D*D*

Hope this helps
Reply 5
Original post by yt7777
Where I think you have gone wron id you're saying that if you get a Distinction in the 2nd year you will get DMM for the course based on you MM in first year, this wouldnt work because the triple grade each is worth 1 A level and the first year grade (MM) is worth 1.5 A levels where the 2nd is worth 0.5.

So for each unit you will receive a grade and each unit has a credit value

you multiply the grade (Dist=9, Merit=8, Pass=7) by the credit value,in most cases this will be 10, but make sure you check on the website as sometimes they can be 5 or 20.

for example, if you get a Distinction in a single 10 credit unit you will get 90 points, 80 for Merit and 70 for Pass, work this out this for all 18 units (or just for all credits where you have some non 10 credit units) and add them up and you will get a total BTEC point score, for the extended diploma (180 credits) each grade maps to a points range, here is the mapping for the points->grades:

1250- = FAIL
1260=PPP
1300= MPP
1340= MMP
1380= MMM
1420= DMM
1460= DDM
1500= DDD
1540= D*DD
1560= D*D*D
1590+ D*D*D*

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Are all 8 units of the second year out of 90 points, because this year (year 1) unit 8 the highest you can get is 45, and unit 6 the highest you can only get is 35?
Original post by 23_Anom
Currently studying the course finished the first year in my second year now, in the first year I got MM overall going for D this year so I will get DMM overall. Apart from biomedical science are there any other science courses that allow you to get into them with theses grades. Most prospectuses do not mention Btec requirements as they do not accept them.

Erm Biological Science??

Well, I am doing the same course! I got D*D* last year, so tbh I don't have that much pressure this year.

I made Dietetics my firm choice.

Would've chosen biomedical, but it's too lab based, it's not the course for me .
Reply 7
Original post by Anonbabes
Erm Biological Science??

Well, I am doing the same course! I got D*D* last year, so tbh I don't have that much pressure this year.

I made Dietetics my firm choice.

Would've chosen biomedical, but it's too lab based, it's not the course for me .

Well Done, D*D* wow that's very rare, yeah don't really like biomed, applied to do pharmatecul science
Reply 8
Are you doing medical this year?
Original post by 23_Anom
Well Done, D*D* wow that's very rare, yeah don't really like biomed, applied to do pharmatecul science

Thanks! :smile:

Well do where your heart takes you <3 If you've got no clue I would suggest taking a gap year.

I don't get how pharmetucal science is any better? I'd fall for biomed if i'd had to choose between the two tbh
Original post by 23_Anom
Are you doing medical this year?

I'm in my last year of medical..
Reply 11
I'm in my last year of medical..

Probably will do a gap year.....
Are you doing 8 units this year if so are the all out 90 points?
Original post by 23_Anom
Probably will do a gap year.....
Are you doing 8 units this year if so are the all out 90 points?

Right okay..

Ermmm tbh I think so... and no what do you mean?

90 points is when you get a distinction in a 10 credit unit.
Reply 13
Right okay..

Ermmm tbh I think so... and no what do you mean?

90 points is when you get a distinction in a 10 credit unit.

Are all 8 units in the second year worth 10 credits or are there some that are worth 5?

I have had rubbish teachers don't know nothing how the course works out
Original post by 23_Anom
Are all 8 units in the second year worth 10 credits or are there some that are worth 5?

I have had rubbish teachers don't know nothing how the course works out

All worth 10

Only the maths two units are worth 5
Reply 15
Original post by 23_Anom
Thanks,

Are all 8 units of the second year out of 90 points, because this year (year 1) unit 8 the highest you can get is 45, and unit 6 the highest you can only get is 35?

That may be because the credit values are different

for example most units are worth 10 credits which you multiply by 7, 8, or 9 for P, M or D,giving 70, 80 or 90

If you had a half unit of 5 credits then you would multiply them by they same giving 35, 40 or 45, see?

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 16
thanks
I got 700 points last year how many distinctions merits and passes do I need to get DMM
Reply 17
Original post by 23_Anom
thanks
I got 700 points last year how many distinctions merits and passes do I need to get DMM

Look at the list I sent previously and subract 700 from the score that corresponds to the grade you want to achieve and work it out from there with the grade x credit value, obviously in some cases the amount of passes, merits and distinctions will differ, i.e. if someone needed all merits and they got 1 distinction this would allow them to settle for a pass in one other unit

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest