The Student Room Group

Remembering Acts & Cases

Hi all,

With just over 2 months to go until my AS exam in law, I've decided to really crack down on remembering acts and cases now that I've nailed everything else.

What's the best way to remember acts and cases? I can only really remember the cases and acts for topics I enjoyed covering.
Reply 1
I took a full law A-level 3 months before my final exams and started from scratch to give AS and A2 at the same time. One tip I would give is learn just a few case studies for the topics. In my handbook there were quite A LOT of them but my sister whose studying law on degree level, told me that I wouldn't be able to mention them all in my exam so learn a few that do cover the specific topic. Make flash cards (they helped me). My teacher also recommended making posters and sticking them all over your walls too :smile:
I'm not really offering advice on how to remember cases because everyone remembers them in different ways, but I will offer you one piece of advice, if you can't remember the case name but know the facts and the way it influenced/changed the law then write about it but just call it a 'decided case'. I went into an exam last year for my degree and forgot quite a few case names, but because i remembered the principles that came from the case and wrote about them I came out with only a couple of marks off a 1st.
Original post by Ruby17
I took a full law A-level 3 months before my final exams and started from scratch to give AS and A2 at the same time. One tip I would give is learn just a few case studies for the topics. In my handbook there were quite A LOT of them but my sister whose studying law on degree level, told me that I wouldn't be able to mention them all in my exam so learn a few that do cover the specific topic. Make flash cards (they helped me). My teacher also recommended making posters and sticking them all over your walls too :smile:

which exam board was your A-level law with?
Reply 4
Original post by Audrey18
which exam board was your A-level law with?

I did CIE
What exam board are you on?
Original post by helena1999
What exam board are you on?

AQA.

And thanks everyone for the advice. I plan to pick up some flash cards tomorrow and colour code the cases with the topics I'm doing (ADR, Parliament and Delegated legislation for unit one. Criminal law and negligence for unit two).
I find quizlet.com to be very helpful with this. You could also put your vocab onto that and any concepts you're struggling with. It helps because quizlet has an app and you can pick it up anywhere you have a spare minute. Good luck with your exams!
Original post by Muttski
AQA.

And thanks everyone for the advice. I plan to pick up some flash cards tomorrow and colour code the cases with the topics I'm doing (ADR, Parliament and Delegated legislation for unit one. Criminal law and negligence for unit two).

Also download a flashcard app on your phone, e.g. cram, it means you can practise whilst walking places etc.
Reply 9
Original post by helena1999
Also download a flashcard app on your phone, e.g. cram, it means you can practise whilst walking places etc.

Can you reccomend any apps? What I do to remember is list an area of law and go through all topics within and list case names I can remember, I am doing the AQA unit too so for e.g for none fatal offences Ill do this:

Assault - R v Mansfield, Smith v Woking Police, R v Ireland, Turberville v Savage, R v Cunningham

Battery - Collins v Wilcoks, Fagan v MPC, Haystead v CC Derbyshire, R v Thomas, DPP V Santa Bermudez, R v Cunningham

Section 47 - R v Miller, DPP v Smith, R v Chan Fook, R v Ireland, R v Cunningham, R v Savage

Section 20/18 - R v Saunders, R v Bollom, R v Dica, R v Martin, R v Halliday, R v Burstow, C (a minor) v Eisenhower, R v Mowatt, R v Savage, R v Grimshaw

That took me about 5 minutes, but it's a great exercise to do - it forces you to go over each area and think it through. (There are probably mistakes above, i'm going to over go it for my own benefit now! :smile: )
Flash cards are good.

I usually group them together into relevant categories and then create an acrostic in my head from the first initial each of the cases.
Original post by Ruby17

Yea. This is what the mark scheme suggest too.
Hope you don't mind but I have a question. I was reading the mark scheme for unit 2, AQA exam board where the question was from January 2013 stating 'Explain, using three examples, how an omission can be the basis of the actus reus of acrime.' 7 marks. Then it says 'The student deals with (A) as follows one sound.' however it also says 'there must be accurate definitions and illustrations of three bullet points for sound, two for clear and one for some.' Now this is where I am quite confused. If so what does 'one sound answer' mean? Does this mean we should have one answer with examples that is explained or one statement? I'm trying to figure out how many cases/Acts I should aim to learn within each chapter/section.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending