The Student Room Group

Has ANYONE here managed to OVERCOME their fear of public speaking & HOW?

Like seriously though, I'm 17 and I have REALLY BAD stage fright!!

Reading out loud during English lessons

Presentations

Arguments

Speaking through the phone

Telling stories to my friends/class

Interviews

etc ...

I want to be a lawyer ever since I was a child but I don't think I have the confidence.
I mean every career out there requires public speaking/good communication skills whether it's working at McDonalds or being a doctor?

I honestly don't know what to do? I don't think I can go to uni despite achieving 11 A*' and an A at GCSE, I don't think I'll manage to speak a single word if I get an interview.

One of my cousins achieved 12 A*'s at GCSE and 3A*'s and an A at A level, she got an interview from Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Cardiff for medicine but they all rejected her cos she was too shy, quiet and failed to 'sell herself' ..:frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

Presentations

Arguments

Interviews

etc ...

I want to be a lawyer ever since I was a child but I don't think I have the confidence.
I mean every career out there requires public speaking/good communication skills whether it's working at McDonalds or being a doctor?

I honestly don't know what to do? I don't think I can go to uni despite achieving 11 A*' and an A at GCSE, I don't think I'll manage to speak a single word if I get an interview.

One of my cousins achieved 12 A*'s at GCSE and 3A*'s and an A at A level, she got an interview from Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Cardiff for medicine but they all rejected her cos she was too shy, quiet and failed to 'sell herself' ..:frown:

Being a Lawyer does require a ton loads of courage. But if you have stage fright, it's time you try going outside and slowly building up your confidence in your spare time. Deep breathes before you begin and if you stammer, just pass straight through it.

Sources: I have social anxiety myself, but I'm currently able to talk to people on one to one session occasionally and if I'm with someone I'm comfortable around it makes things a lot easier, if you pretend your just talking to them.
Reply 2
Public speaking is all about being comfortable in the environment you are speaking in, confident in the area you are speaking about and confident you can deal with any deviations from what you have prepared.

When speaking to a group of people, remember that they are only human, too. Empathise with them, understand what they need and cater for these needs when speaking.

Confidence in the area you're speaking about will come with prior knowledge or experience. Study prior to speaking, not forgetting to read around the subject, in order to be able to speak confidently and address any questions that may arise. It's also good to have a plan in place for when things go wrong. Carrying a flash card with basic outlines of what you will be speaking about is also really useful if you panic and start drawing blanks.

As the old saying goes; proper preparation prevents piss poor performance. Prepare, prepare, prepare.

If that doesn't help, get a job at your local pub. This will help tonnes with your ability to talk to people. Be honest in your interview and say that you're looking to develop your communication skills.
Reply 3
I couldn't relate more to what you just said, you literally just described me!
I used to sit in class absolutley terrified that I was going to be picked on to answer a question or read something out.
I'm starting uni at Cardiff in sept & I'm absolutley terrified of having to do presentations, I just won't be able to.
Sorry I haven't offered any help, just know you're not alone!
Original post by Username3097486
Wtf...was this post from 1970

All anonymous threads have that date.
Reply 5
Yes, I learned to read so well I was confident even if I messed up my speech it'd be a damn sight better than anyone else. Before that I was a shy wreck who didn't like talking. Practice reading confidently, avoid fillers and just know your subject well, and you'll have nothing to fear but fear itself.
I was like you at 17, I could read out loud in class sat at my desk but ask me to stand up in front of a group and talk and I suddenly got very nervous. I hated speaking on the phone too.

All I can really say is, it comes with practice, and with facing your fear head on. Going to uni helped me loads in terms of confidence and speaking to people I didn't know or on the phone because I realised that because I was living away from home, if I didn't sort things out for myself, no-one would, so I just had to do it. Now, at 22, that kind of thing doesn't phase me much at all anymore. Working in customer-facing jobs (mainly as a waitress) to earn a bit of money as a student helped too; you have to deal with the person in front of you or they're not going to be happy, and you have to do it with a smile too. And then last year I went for interview for a job I really wanted and got it, because I'd prepared really well and I knew I had to come across confidently. Because I really wanted it, I found confidence from somewhere!

Public speaking is a more difficult one. I still get nervous when giving presentations, but getting good marks for them has boosted my confidence and I get a little less nervous each time. Practising what I'm going to say and doing a lot of research really helps, and having it written down in front of me just in case I am overcome with nerves and forget. I try not to read from a script as it can sound forced but it's nice to have detailed notes as an insurance if you like. Practice in front of a friend or relative who can give you feedback on your presentation style.

It's good that you've recognised your issue with it, as in many careers it's not something you can escape from unfortunately. If you're getting extremely anxious about it to the point where it's really affecting your life overall, and you're being assessed on public speaking, when you start uni, look into what the student welfare service can offer. I know at my uni if you did have severe anxiety around giving presentations they could arrange for you to do any assessed ones separately in an office to one tutor.
I overcame my fear of public speaking simply by doing more of it. I got myself a job where I had to present to groups and take questions every 15 minutes or so all day. It's amazing how quickly it becomes completely trivial to perform in public when you force yourself into doing it regularly.

The first few times were pretty bad but when nothing terrible happened to me as a result the fear just went away. I'm great at speaking in public now, I actually really enjoy it.

Presentations

Arguments

Interviews

etc ...

For me it's simply being well prepared, with my work and my appearance. Practice your speech, outline your presentation, bring flash cards, get your outfit ready the day before, don't sleep on it, assure yourself you're ready, and most importantly realise that no one in the audience is ****ing better than you or deserving of your fear.
Reply 9
Look up Toastmasters, and find a club near you. I'm a club officer for mine. It really really helps your public speaking (and we have a couple of lawyers, it's a wide mix). Tell me if you have any questions about it :smile:

Presentations

Arguments

Interviews

etc ...

Fake it til' ye make it b

Quick Reply

Latest