The Student Room Group

CACHE Level 2 Award In Child Development and Care

Hi,
I want to do Medicine at Uni, and I chose this for my GCSES. I'm currently in Y10. Alongside this I'm doing a Level 2 Babysitting Award. I know the Babysitting one is a btec as its either a pass or a fail but is this CACHE award an actual GCSE or a BTEC, because its graded a*-G so is it a GCSE. I chose it to get an a*. My teacher says its a GCSE. But I still have doubts. What do you think
Original post by orangestar123
Hi,
I want to do Medicine at Uni, and I chose this for my GCSES. I'm currently in Y10. Alongside this I'm doing a Level 2 Babysitting Award. I know the Babysitting one is a btec as its either a pass or a fail but is this CACHE award an actual GCSE or a BTEC, because its graded a*-G so is it a GCSE. I chose it to get an a*. My teacher says its a GCSE. But I still have doubts. What do you think

It's equivalent to a GCSE but not actually a GCSE I think
Hi Orange,

While the CACHE level 2 course is equivalent to a GCSE, it isn't a GCSE. A GCSE is a general certificate of secondary education, whereas a CACHE is the Council for Awards in Care, Health and Education. They're on equivalent levels in terms of complexity, but they're different qualifications.

I would say (it's a bit late now, but with A levels looming in coming years), you shouldn't pick subjects to study because you think you can do well in them. Yes, to study medicine you'll need to have the best of the best grades (or take an alternative route), but you'll find you'll do better studying courses that directly relate to your interests.

GCSE's are used purely as a measure of your consistency in education when you go on to further studies, so the courses you're taking won't necessarily impact your options. Plus, even though the CACHE course is designed more for home/child care, it does demonstrate a caring nature. Medical schools love it if you can show them that!

All in all, it isn't a GCSE, but don't worry about it. It still bolsters your application and gives you the 'care' side that is also beneficial. Good luck.
Thank you so much it really helps. I took it so I could get an A* and my teacher aid it was an actual GCSE. Guess not. Hope they'll still count it though.
"All applicants must have a minimum of six GCSE (or EU / International equivalent) passes at grade A or above to include English Language, Mathematics and two Science subjects. GCSE short courses are not accepted.

Applicants who have not sat GCSE (or EU/International equivalent) should include details of all formal qualifications taken up to age 16 (e.g. Middle Year Programme), in addition to your school leaving exam results (pending or achieved), together with current/completed studies on your UCAS form."

It's not going to hurt you in any way, it can only help you! The above is a quote from the medical school website at UEA, which simply recommends submitting details. I think as core subjects you'll take more than 6 GCSE's, so honestly do not panic.

Quick Reply

Latest