The Student Room Group

Currently living in Saudi Arabia AMA

AMA Its really hot here it was 37 degrees today. Im staying in Jeddah.

Here are some answers to questions al probs get asked:

How long have i been here?
Since November 26th.

When will i be back?
Coming back to the UK at the end of June.

Why did i move here?
My dad got a teaching job here and brought us as he thought it would be a good experience.

Do i agree with the Islamic and political views here?
I don't really have a clue about the political stuff goes on here. As for the Islamic laws the sharia law is only really practised in Makkah, Madinah and Riyadh. other places arnt really strict and are more conservative. i.e women don't have to cover their hair and music is still played and stuff.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mkap
AMA Its really hot here it was 37 degrees today. Im staying in Jeddah.

What do you do there? Do you go to school or..?
Is there a lot poverty?

Are people in Saudi Arabia genuinely backward and believe in stuff like apostasy, blasphemy...

Do you believe in sepration between state and religion ?
Reply 3
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
What do you do there? Do you go to school or..?

i have a job here. my degree is with the Open University so i wouldn't be year behind. My two younger brothers go to a school here.
I've heard women drive secretly, like to places near-by and stuff. Is this true?

Also, what is your day-to-day routine like?

I used to go Makkah yearly, but haven't been for the past few years. I really do miss it. :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by mkap
i have a job here. my degree is with the Open University so i wouldn't be year behind. My two younger brothers go to a school here.

Oh okay that's pretty cool - are you doing something related to your degree? What are your colleagues like?
Reply 6
Original post by I am Halal
Is there a lot poverty?

Are people in Saudi Arabia genuinely backward and believe in stuff like apostasy, blasphemy...

Do you believe in sepration between state and religion ?

there is when you go to Makkah and Madinah, loads of really poor people here. same goes to the cleaners and taxi drivers here. they get paid peanuts.

not really, theyre not village people lol they like the western world and try to imitate it i.e with all the shops and literally worshipping British white people.

There are a lot of non muslims expats here, they arnt viewed negatively in Saudi
Reply 7
Original post by fire_and_ice
I've heard women drive secretly, like to places near-by and stuff. Is this true?

I used to go Makkah yearly, but haven't been for the past few years. I really do miss it. :frown:

I've heard they quickly dress up as men
do the Saudi guys swarm around you ?

:holmes:
Do you wear the Nikab? I didn't realise only certain places within the country are conservative
Reply 10
Original post by fire_and_ice

i dont know about that :dontknow:

i wake up at 6.30, go to work at 7.30, come home at 3, study for about five hours, then in the evening just chill and go out with family and stuff. ywah a perk of being here is that we go to Makkah quite a lot.

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Oh okay that's pretty cool - are you doing something related to your degree? What are your colleagues like?

haha no i work in the school library. Im not allowed to worj outside of the compound im stayiing.
Reply 11
Do you live in those compounds?
Whats your favourite colour?
Reply 13
Original post by queen-bee
Do you wear the Nikab? I didn't realise only certain places within the country are conservative

no i dont, yeah you see arab women flashing their ombre caked in makeup
fav food? :h:
Reply 15
Original post by HAnwar
Do you live in those compounds?

yeah i live on a compound with all other teacher and their families which is a 20 second walk from the school.

Original post by Jamie S
Whats your favourite colour?

i like all colours, dont have a favourite :smile:
Did you get a tan?
Why are you so amazing?
why would you want to live in saudi arabia? it's the 7th worst country as far as dictatorships go in terms of the measures of democracy - that's only 2 places higher than turkmenistan, and I want to assume that you know how bad it is there (basically a middle eastern north korea)
Reply 19
Original post by cupcakes87
fav food? :h:

my fave food here is Al Baik, its so good! so many fast food chains here :h:

Original post by Tamil Tiger
Did you get a tan?

not even gonna answer that :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest