The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy & Ethics: Official Thread for May/June 2016

Hi Everyone

This is the official thread for the OCR AS Specification of Philosophy and Ethics

Exam dates:
Thursday 19th May AM: Philosophy of Religion
Friday 27th May AM: Religious Ethics

// Please use this thread to post any predicted questions or topics that may come up in the exams in a couple of weeks (not long to go!)

I'll be posting some revision notes / flash cards that I have made, which may be of some use to you. It will be attached to this thread soon.

In the meantime, get predicting, get revising, and get your game on!

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Finally a thread not from 2012! I'm really hoping in philosophy Plato comes up. I have been through the past papers and he has only come up twice compared to some being shown four or five times. My teacher has told me not to revise Aristotle because there's so little on him you can't go into enough details. Any other predictions?
Reply 2
Original post by jennaelizaaa
Finally a thread not from 2012! I'm really hoping in philosophy Plato comes up. I have been through the past papers and he has only come up twice compared to some being shown four or five times. My teacher has told me not to revise Aristotle because there's so little on him you can't go into enough details. Any other predictions?

Another reason to not focus on Aristotle is that there was a set of questions about just him last year, 24 marker on the 4 causes and 10 marker on the prime mover. So I'm guessing it wouldn't come up two years in a row :tongue:
Yes definitely, but they asked 'Explain creatio ex nihlo' two years in a row, apparently because the students did so bad in answering it ahah
Reply 4
I think that that the Teleological argument may come up, and Plato's analogy of the cave

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yes definitely, but they asked 'Explain creatio ex nihlo' two years in a row, apparently because the students did so bad in answering it ahah

When did they ask this question two years in a row?
It was seen in January 2010 and May 2013?

'Explain the concept of Creatio ex nihlo' could very well come up - it's a predicted question - which I hate because it's so hard to answer

As for Plato, his analogy of the cave was last seen in January 2013 and is also due to come up again
As for Aristotle, I don't think we'll be seeing him this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Predicted 25 Marker Philosophy Q's
Anyone else have different predictions?

1A) Explain Plato's Analogy of the cave
2A) Explain concept of 'Creatio ex nihlo'
3A) Explain Paley's version of the Teleological (Design) argument
4A) Pending

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VivekJ555
When did they ask this question two years in a row?
It was seen in January 2010 and May 2013?

'Explain the concept of Creatio ex nihlo' could very well come up - it's a predicted question - which I hate because it's so hard to answer

As for Plato, his analogy of the cave was last seen in January 2013 and is also due to come up again
As for Aristotle, I don't think we'll be seeing him this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, sorry I made a mistake. Been a while since I've looked at the past papers. And I absolutely hate explaining what creatio ex nihlo is. It will really mess me up ahaha.
Reply 8
Yes, sorry I made a mistake. Been a while since I've looked at the past papers. And I absolutely hate explaining what creatio ex nihlo is. It will really mess me up ahaha.

LOOL trust me I'll walk out of the exam
Literally

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys :smile: I've got an AS philosophy &I ethics study group up on whatsapp. Currently only two other people in it though. If anyone wants to be in it please DM me name and number! Also If you do choose to be in it please do share resources such as pages from textbook, essays, or anything really (as you'd want other people to do so๐Ÿ˜Š)
Cheers,
Rue.

(I choose whatsapp as we can easily send audio vns to explain things, easily take pics of stuff to send it, etc. It's just so convenient and easy)
Original post by RueXO
Hey guys :smile: I've got an AS philosophy &I ethics study group up on whatsapp. Currently only two other people in it though. If anyone wants to be in it please DM me name and number! Also If you do choose to be in it please do share resources such as pages from textbook, essays, or anything really (as you'd want other people to do so๐Ÿ˜Š)
Cheers,
Rue.

(I choose whatsapp as we can easily send audio vns to explain things, easily take pics of stuff to send it, etc. It's just so convenient and easy)

That's a really good idea but all my documents are on my laptop so there's no point in me joining as I can't share things on my phone
That's a really good idea but all my documents are on my laptop so there's no point in me joining as I can't share things on my phone
you can still join! :smile: we share stuff regularly so you can use our notes, and you can email us stuff if you want idk it's up to you, there's like 6 of us now
I've made revision for ethics, but have barely anything for applied christian ethics. I am struggling so much on the questions especially for genetic engineering and literally have 0 quotes from the Bible so now I'm panicking. Does anyone have any notes to exchange with? I just can't go into detail like philosophy!!!
Reply 13
I've made revision for ethics, but have barely anything for applied christian ethics. I am struggling so much on the questions especially for genetic engineering and literally have 0 quotes from the Bible so now I'm panicking. Does anyone have any notes to exchange with? I just can't go into detail like philosophy!!!

I'll send you some quotes soon, but all you really need to do is just remember a few words and paraphrase

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
It's really annoying how OCR put on our exam certificates, GCE Religious Studies. It doesn't say anything about philosophy or ethics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any predictions for both the papers? I know OCR are random but figured it's best to revise the ones I think will come up really well.
Teleological argument came up in 2015!
I think a religion and Science topic might come up from what I've heard!
When did Augustine and Iraneus come up?????????//
Original post by Theresexx
I think a religion and Science topic might come up from what I've heard!
In the problem of evil topic!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest