The Student Room Group

How to get at least an A in GCSE maths

Anyone got any tips or techniques on how to do well in the maths exam, I need at least an A. I heard the paper is gonna be a lot harder this year, so I'm so screwed and need help.

Scroll to see replies

Do past papers
Reply 2
^^
Original post by Ayaz789
Do past papers

I've done nearly all of them and now they're just getting repetitive, plus the type of exam questions are getting a lot harder i.e. they're gonna put stuff we've never seen before and stupidly hard worded questions like last years paper.
I went from a high B (Dec. mocks) to a low A (Jan.mocks), to a high A* (Feb. mocks) by doing past papers and mock exam style questions. It'll give you practice you need, so you know how to answer the qs they'll throw at us.
Reply 5
Yeah I'd also recommend doing past papers, going through them and figuring out what you got wrong and how to do it correctly. Then I'd also write down the topics that you struggled most on, go and do some practice on them, and come back to the same questions and see if you can do them this time round.
Original post by I'm-so-screwed
I've done nearly all of them and now they're just getting repetitive, plus the type of exam questions are getting a lot harder i.e. they're gonna put stuff we've never seen before and stupidly hard worded questions like last years paper.

IKR!
Original post by tptc
Yeah I'd also recommend doing past papers, going through them and figuring out what you got wrong and how to do it correctly. Then I'd also write down the topics that you struggled most on, go and do some practice on them, and come back to the same questions and see if you can do them this time round.

Ok thanks guys for the help, I'll continue doing them past papers.
Reply 8
Focus a lot of time on it and do past papers.
My biggest regret was not spending enough time on maths because I needed to get better at English
Original post by Blancosdos
IKR!

Thank you, finally someone who gets me!
I thought that the exams get harder next year not this year as that is when they are introducing the new syllabus?
Completed every past paper since 2010 to 2015.

Started doing learning/revising one topic per day starting from C grade topics up to A grade.

Currently on the A* topics. (Directly and Inversely proportionality)

Use MathsGenie they give all the topics in order of grades as well as give revision material for you to be able to practise.

Obviously the number one thing that worked for me was to do atleast 1 paper per week if not more.

In my last mock (3 months ago) I got 38/100 for non-calculator and 45/100 for calculator :colondollar:.Drastically improved in non-calc going from 38 to 71/100 and 83/100 in calc in February mocks.

One more thing, you have to be focused. In my case, no one in my family knew I was doing so badly in maths until they asked me to go to a tuition centre and do a FREE exam. I got 40% in the exam that consisted of 5 questions that 'even year 9' students should be able to do.

That really did open my eyes and got me real scared...
Original post by Bernie2016
I thought that the exams get harder next year not this year as that is when they are introducing the new syllabus?

They get harder every year man, so this year it will be harder than last year and next year it will be even harder and so on.
Original post by I'm-so-screwed
They get harder every year man, so this year it will be harder than last year and next year it will be even harder and so on.

The subject overall is a joke though, i mean you can easily answer any questions about the raw maths its just in the exam when they word it in a way which really screws you over which frustrates me.
The subject overall is a joke though, i mean you can easily answer any questions about the raw maths its just in the exam when they word it in a way which really screws you over which frustrates me.

Exactly man it's like they're just ****ing with you.
I understand pretty much everything in maths but when they word in stupid ways I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do, like is this an algebra or a probability question ect.
Do the hardest gcse papers you can find.
June 2004 i think springs to mind.
Either way practice makes perfect!
Use Mathswatch for any particular topics you are stuck on.

Also try papers from other boards to test your understanding as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Try and get some deeper understanding of some of the topics if you can. It's always better to understand things in a little more detail than what you need. That way if there is a question that is slightly harder than normal, you should have a better chance of doing it.
On the topics you're struggling on go on this website M4ths.com -- go on GCSE and every single topic is on there with a video to explain and a worksheet, he's a British teacher as well. Went from getting D's and E's to getting nearly full marks on past papers from watching every video from that website
Get a list of all the topics you need to cover and track through them one by one. Try doing like one or two topics a day until you've nailed them.
If you use MathsWatch then that has a 6 week program which covers everything you need.

I was crushed from an A* to a B due to absurdly written questions in a mock.

Quick Reply

Latest