The Student Room Group

No experience at all, at the end of my second year at uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by El Chapo Jr.
i think you would be surprised at how easy talking about a fake scenario is when you have already spoken about it in your previous x interviews. it starts to feel like a reality after a while - i found that i sometimes had to consciously remind myself that i never did these things (no joke).

the only experiences i care about are the ones that involve talking to the nice little HR lady over the phone to discuss numbers.

what she hears: "omg thanks this is a really good opportunity and i can't wait to start"
what i hear: "congrats el chapo jr, you are rich now"

Yeah but you should actually be interested and take part in stuff, not just say that you are. Taking part in societies actually develops soft skills which will help you in your investment banking job (time management, communication, teamwork, leadership) which you might think you have already but don't really unless you are involved in stuff. That's why banks want people who are involved in societies and sports- not just for the sake of it but because they actually develop the skills they want to succeed in banking.
look how far integrity has taken OP. the best advice for him is to start lying the same way 90% of his competition do.

integrity doesn't pay the bills. more importantly, it does not buy you a rolls-royce or vintage snakeskin shoes. when you know you are better than the other candidates but the other dude is getting the job because he plays guitar, it's definitely time to change your approach.

why is lying unacceptable, but it's OK to force yourself into joining societies you don't necessarily want to join just to deceive recruiters into thinking you're someone that you aren't? this is still lying, just in a really inefficient way. spend months doing things that i type up 2 seconds rofl.

So you don't do any actual activities/societies- you just lie? Seems pretty stupid to me
This thread has potential :colone:
you can lie about your societies and being an open day steward and they'll never check (guarantee it) - just thought i'd mention that. same applies to volunteer work. they'll call your uni just to make sure you didn't lie about getting a 2:1.

i always find it hilarious when people try so hard to do all of this sh*t to pimp up their CVs then i come along, lie about it, and take their job. i'm collecting jobs like el chapo collected pounds of cocaine atm.

They'll find out eventually, although I would find this very unfair. I do extra-curricular activities because I enjoy them, not because I feel I have to.
Reply 24
It's good to do other activities as it shows you're interested in things outside of studying. Life experience can also develop you as a person, build confidence, leadership and other valuable skills employers are after. Don't just join a society or start a hobby because you feel you have to do it because you really want to.
why all the butthurt? i'm giving OP some of the realest advice he'll ever hear in his bum life.

Original post by girlygiggle
They'll find out eventually, although I would find this very unfair. I do extra-curricular activities because I enjoy them, not because I feel I have to.

no they wouldn't. i made sure i spoke to one of the guys at student services about this last year before i wrote up my CV - he said all they ever call up the university for is the start and end date, and degree classification. you think someone at HR has the time, patience or even give a sh*t to be chasing up which societies you joined? (remember that societies are run by students not the university itself)

if you do EC's because you enjoy them and not for the sake of getting a job then you shouldn't feel that it's unfair. what is unfair is a beast like me losing out to a toolbox because he does ballerina in his spare time, when i'm more qualified and suited for the job.
Original post by Trapz99
So you don't do any actual activities/societies- you just lie? Seems pretty stupid to me
i currently have offers from BNP Paribas, IG Index and have interviews with Bloomberg in 2 weeks. you?

Original post by Trapz99
Yeah but you should actually be interested and take part in stuff, not just say that you are. Taking part in societies actually develops soft skills which will help you in your investment banking job (time management, communication, teamwork, leadership) which you might think you have already but don't really unless you are involved in stuff. That's why banks want people who are involved in societies and sports- not just for the sake of it but because they actually develop the skills they want to succeed in banking.
lol save this BS for the interviews brother. what if i'm not interested in joining the computer science society that's full of dorks who have weekly meetings about Zelda? degrees specifically incorporate team projects into their curriculum for the exact reasons you mentioned.

time management, communication, teamwork and leadership skills are put to the test in group exercises, which i seem to pass without ever attending a society event in my life - sup?
(edited 8 years ago)
btw the whole recruitment process basically just assesses how well you can lie (seriously).

when they ask you what are your weaknesses? you think they want to hear actual weaknesses like "i'm lazy, bad in the mornings and smoke a lot of weed"? game over. they want you to tell them a strength and twist it into a weakness (e.g. the classic "my main weakness is that i'm a perfectionist" ).

when they ask you why us and not our competitors? the honest answer is something along the lines of "i am indifferent, the only reason i applied to you guys was because i saw your job listing first" or "you pay more", but if you told them that that's a straight rejection - so again, they do not expect you to give an honest answer. they know you have applied to all of their competitors and spout the same sh*t in their interviews.

when they ask you tell us about a situation where... and you have never been in that situation before what are you gonna do?

OP, they literally want you to BS them lol. the guys on this thread trying to take the moral high ground are the same guys that end up not getting jobs, and they'll find themselves in the same situation as you.
(edited 8 years ago)
btw the whole recruitment process basically just assesses how well you can lie (seriously).

when they ask you what are your weaknesses? you think they want to hear actual weaknesses like "i'm lazy, bad in the mornings and smoke a lot of weed"? game over. they want you to tell them a strength and twist it into a weakness (e.g. the classic "my main weakness is that i'm a perfectionist" ).

when they ask you why us and not our competitors? the honest answer is something along the lines of "i am indifferent, the only reason i applied to you guys was because i saw your job listing first" or "you pay more", but if you told them that that's a straight rejection. they know you have applied to all of their competitors and spout the same sh*t in their interviews.

when they ask you tell us about a situation where... and you have never been in that situation before what are you gonna do?

OP, they literally want you to BS them lol. the guys on this thread trying to take the moral high ground are the same guys that end up not getting jobs, and they'll find themselves in the same situation as you.

Do you not feel sad that you lied your way into a job? Even if a lot of people do it, do you not think that it is better to get what you can honestly. I seriously doubt that many people lie about societies on their CV- the fact is that somewhere on the line you'll get caught out.
Original post by Trapz99
Do you not feel sad that you lied your way into a job? Even if a lot of people do it, do you not think that it is better to get what you can honestly. I seriously doubt that many people lie about societies on their CV- the fact is that somewhere on the line you'll get caught out.
no i don't, because a) everyone else is doing it (level out the playing field), b) the guys at the top that you're working for are corrupt as f*ck anyway, and c) they expect you to lie. did you not read that block of text that you just quoted?

i'd rather lie and get a job like everyone else than be in OP's position.
(edited 8 years ago)
no i don't, because a) everyone else is doing it (level out the playing field), b) the guys at the top are corrupt as f*ck anyway, and c) they expect you to lie. did you not read that block of text that you just quoted?

i'd rather lie and get a job like everyone else than be in OP's position.

Ok I definitely do not agree with your statement that everyone lies about activities- I haven't see a single person who has lied about what societies they have taken part in. you're just making up all these statements to make yourself feel better for lying.
Original post by Trapz99
Ok I definitely do not agree with your statement that everyone lies about activities- I haven't see a single person who has lied about what societies they have taken part in. you're just making up all these statements to make yourself feel better for lying.
you're inexperienced and naive to think that. just wait till you start your job hunt and get 45 minute interviews consisting of just "tell us about a situation where..." questions. i can guarantee you now that at least 50% of those scenarios you get asked about you would have never been in and if you just sit there looking at them with a blank face or be honest and say "i've never been in that situation" - you'll probably get a rejection before you walk out of the interview room rofl.

i don't need to make myself feel better for lying. i'll wipe my tears with the ~£40K salary i'll be earning when i finish my degree.
you're inexperienced and naive to think that. just wait till you start your job hunt and get 45 minute interviews consisting of just "tell us about a situation where..." questions. i can guarantee you now that at least 50% of those scenarios you get asked about you would have never been in and if you just sit there looking at them with a blank face or be honest and say "i've never been in that situation" - you'll probably get a rejection before you walk out of the interview room rofl.

i don't need to make myself feel better for lying. i'll wipe my tears with the ~£40K salary i'll be earning when i finish my degree.

Everyone does what's in your above paragraph, but they certainly DO NOT blatantly lie on their CV. Companies know that not everyone will have experienced every single competency, and that some responses to the question will be fabricated somewhat. But the KEY is understanding the importance of said competency and when/how to make use of it - which you do by picking an appropriate (even if embellished) situation.

Honestly so many people have been stripped of their jobs and sometimes put in jail for defrauding their CV. Telling others to do it is like encouraging people to knowingly walk next to a cliff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Everyone does what's in your above paragraph, but they certainly DO NOT blatantly lie on their CV. Companies know that not everyone will have experienced every single competency, and that some responses to the question will be fabricated somewhat. But the KEY is understanding the importance of said competency and when/how to make use of it - which you do by picking an appropriate (even if embellished) situation.

Honestly so many people have been stripped of their jobs and sometimes put in jail for defrauding their CV. Telling others to do it is like encouraging people to knowingly walk next to a cliff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TSR nerds are just huge pussies and aren't living in the real world. you will not go to jail for lying about attending a university society (something that they will never check) - just stfu with that.

the 1% of liars that get caught are the guys who lie about their grades / work experience. the way it works is you get the offer --> they call up your university to verify that you got a 2:1+ --> they call up any companies you claimed to work for to verify that you worked for them --> congratulations, you are rich now. they aint calling your university again.

i spoke to one of the workers at my uni who deals with this stuff (he was at nottingham uni beforehand). he told me he only ever receives calls from companies to verify a student's grade, and has never been asked to prove a students membership in a particular society (because societies are run by students rather than the university itself).

anyway w/e. i've debunked all of these inexperienced A-level students and given OP some real advice that will change his bum life. nothing more needs to be said from my end.
(edited 8 years ago)

I could honestly answer all those "tell me about a situation where" questions by just mentioning experiences during my extra curricular activities. You shouldn't have to lie to answer those questions- everyone should be able to think of a situation where they have taken initiate/worked in a team/ solved a problem/ etc...
Original post by Trapz99
I could honestly answer all those "tell me about a situation where" questions by just mentioning experiences during my extra curricular activities.You shouldn't have to lie to answer those questions- everyone should be able to think of a situation where they have taken initiate/worked in a team/ solved a problem/ etc...
those are really basic 'tell me about a time' questions. they get a little deeper than that if your applying to IBs / AMs. i'm talking about the questions where you need to lie. i got asked this in my fidelity AC which will always haunt me (3 interviewers in the room):

on a scale of 1-10 where would you rank yourself if 1 was always standing up for yourself and 10 was doing something you didn't want to do?

Spoiler

come on dawg, you would have a heart attack on the spot if you refused to bullsh*t your way through that one.
Reply 35
those are really basic 'tell me about a time' questions. they get a little deeper than that if your applying to IBs / AMs. i'm talking about the questions where you need to lie. i got asked this in my fidelity AC which will always haunt me (3 interviewers in the room):

on a scale of 1-10 where would you rank yourself if 1 was always standing up for yourself and 10 was doing something you didn't want to do?

Spoiler

come on dawg, you would have a heart attack on the spot if you refused to bullsh*t your way through that one.

Did you treat them withn an El Chapo style answer?
Original post by KTS89
Did you treat them withn an El Chapo style answer?
the answer that came out ended up being a beautiful one, and the interviewer that was writing down my answers smiled and nodded. the guy asking me the questions was just looking at me as if to say 'nicely done' - he legit wanted to spud me man.

that was when i realised that these interviewers know you're lying through your teeth and they absolutely love it. that solid minute of silence before i gave my answer was probably the most uncomfortable i've ever been in an interview.

the feedback i got from that assessment center was that i'm too technical (for a technology role lol). in other words, i'm too good for Fidelity and somewhere out there there's a sh*tter that got the role because i gifted him it. i changed his bum life, made him rich. hope he's donating some of the money i gave him to charity.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
i changed his bum life, made him rich. hope he's donating some of the money i gave him to charity.

Or he could be saving for his brand new chinchilla instead.
that kid better be eating grass-fed, organic beef steaks for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner with that free £35-40K i gave him.
that kid better be eating grass-fed, organic beef steaks for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner with that free £35-40K i gave him.

Damn straight. It's all about the grass fed steak and the el chapo lifestyle. I hope you'll taste that life one day when you're ruling the Amsterdam coffee shop industry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending