The Student Room Group

can i retake my second year modules in third year

hi all,

i am worried that the marks from two of my modules in second year are gonna bring down my final degree classification. I had ECs in place all throughout uni but had to take an exam on the day of a flight whilst my grandma was sick and i left my laptop on the plane it was such a stressful day in my second year but the Panel rejected my EC due to insufficient evidence and now i have to live that stupid "49" mark is there anything i can do to redeem my second year marks
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by wispyweetabix
hi all,

i am worried that the marks from two of my modules in second year are gonna bring down my final degree classification. I had ECs in place all throughout uni but had to take an exam on the day of a flight whilst my grandma was sick and i left my laptop on the plane it was such a stressful day in my second year but the Panel rejected my EC due to insufficient evidence and now i have to live that stupid "49" mark is there anything i can do to redeem my second year marks

Hi there :smile:

Current Cardiff Uni student here!

I'm so sorry that you had to experience this, I've had a similar experience and found it very stressful. For me, I was told that if I didn't have EC and had managed to complete the work (and passed) then I would not be able to retake. It's definitely worth talking to your tutor about.

I'm sorry that I can't help more.

Jaz - Cardiff Student Rep
@wispyweetabix

If you have to resit an exam, it is capped at 40%, so even though 49% feels frustrating it's better than the alternative.

On my course, the best results from Year 2 are carried through to Year 3.

I am not sure if this happens everywhere, so it might be an idea to talk to your tutor.

There's nothing more than you can do now, so try not to dwell on second year. Take the time to put yourself in a good position for Year 3, whether that's doing a bit of reading over the summer or taking the time to process what's been a stressful time.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 3
hi there sorry i didn't make it very clear but i just finished my third year exam period and missed the last exam as my grandmother passed away i'm just real annoyed about the grades i got last year that are gonna bring down my overall grades bc this year i had too much going in my personal life and i don't wanna play the victim card but i didn't have control over those things but they still impacted my second semester grades
Reply 4
i'm sorry that it wasn't fair on you either i did have ECs but they didn't accept that my last year exams were impacted by me going to another country to care for my grandma
@wispyweetabix

Thanks for explaining.

It's frustrating!

Take that frustration and use it to move forward.

it's not helpful to keep going over the past two years again and again.

There comes a point when even though you may feel hard done by, that you just have to try and make the best of the situation.

Whether that's preparing for the exam that you missed, making plans for when you finish, or trying to help the university change how they deal with ECs in the future, try to turn that frustration into a positive.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 6
Thank you ill do my best. i know its not the end of the road and theres many routes to achieve my goals

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending