Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to three places to do my A-levels and have got into all three places. So now it's the big decision and I have no clue where I should go.
    These are my options:
    - I could stay at my current school to do my A-levels, where the teachers are good at supporting me, plus all my friends are staying on. I would feel comfortable and its a really friendly school. But the science department is weak and there a quite a few bad teachers in other departments as well. I'm also worried that I'm going to get complacent because it would be easy to rely on the teachers support. Another thing is that I don't know if I could work somewhere where there are still year 7's running about (that sounds as if I think I'm above them!! but hopefully you know what I mean). Its also by the sea. Roughly 200 students lower and upper sixth. 15 min away. Uniform.
    - There's sixth form college no. 1, which is really exciting, the teachers are incredibly enthusiastic and I've heard there's hardly any bad teachers. its in a city, 30min by train. You can be yourself. Really buzzy atmosphere. But one of their big things is really leaving it up to you- its really independent and I don't know if I'd do too well with that, I tend to need structure and I don't want to be left behind. Then again its probably a good transition into university. Roughly 2000 students upper and lower 6th form
    - College no.2: It's in-between my school and the other college in terms of how independent it is for students. Its a top sixth form college. Brilliant teaching again really enthusiastic teachers. Quite a formal academic focused atmosphere. Don't know if I'd prefer something more buzzy but then I suppose your not there for the atmosphere . Roughly 2000 students upper and lower 6th form. 45min away.

I'd be interested to see what other people would choose!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Elena.11)
    I've applied to three places to do my A-levels and have got into all three places. So now it's the big decision and I have no clue where I should go.
    These are my options:
    - I could stay at my current school to do my A-levels, where the teachers are good at supporting me, plus all my friends are staying on. I would feel comfortable and its a really friendly school. But the science department is weak and there a quite a few bad teachers in other departments as well. I'm also worried that I'm going to get complacent because it would be easy to rely on the teachers support. Another thing is that I don't know if I could work somewhere where there are still year 7's running about (that sounds as if I think I'm above them!! but hopefully you know what I mean). Its also by the sea. Roughly 200 students lower and upper sixth. 15 min away. Uniform.
    - There's sixth form college no. 1, which is really exciting, the teachers are incredibly enthusiastic and I've heard there's hardly any bad teachers. its in a city, 30min by train. You can be yourself. Really buzzy atmosphere. But one of their big things is really leaving it up to you- its really independent and I don't know if I'd do too well with that, I tend to need structure and I don't want to be left behind. Then again its probably a good transition into university. Roughly 2000 students upper and lower 6th form
    - College no.2: It's in-between my school and the other college in terms of how independent it is for students. Its a top sixth form college. Brilliant teaching again really enthusiastic teachers. Quite a formal academic focused atmosphere. Don't know if I'd prefer something more buzzy but then I suppose your not there for the atmosphere . Roughly 2000 students upper and lower 6th form. 45min away.

I'd be interested to see what other people would choose!
    I'd pick the smaller and closer one, i spent an hour on the bus each day to sixth form and felt like a lot of dead time to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I'd pick the smaller and closer one, i spent an hour on the bus each day to sixth form and felt like a lot of dead time to me.
    Even though I wouldn't be able to choose my options??! (just realised I don't think I mentioned that earlier that's another thing about my school)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Elena.11)
    Even though I wouldn't be able to choose my options??!
    You forgot to mention that in the OP?:P Maybe go for the second school then as enthusiastic teachers sounds great

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.