The Student Room Group

Which place should I go to for my A-levels?

I've applied to three places to do my A-levels and have got into all three places. So now it's the big decision and I have no clue where I should go.
These are my options:
- I could stay at my current school to do my A-levels, where the teachers are good at supporting me, plus all my friends are staying on. I would feel comfortable and its a really friendly school. But the science department is weak and there a quite a few bad teachers in other departments as well. I'm also worried that I'm going to get complacent because it would be easy to rely on the teachers support. Another thing is that I don't know if I could work somewhere where there are still year 7's running about (that sounds as if I think I'm above them!! but hopefully you know what I mean). Its also by the sea. Roughly 200 students lower and upper sixth. 15 min away. Uniform.
- There's sixth form college no. 1, which is really exciting, the teachers are incredibly enthusiastic and I've heard there's hardly any bad teachers. its in a city, 30min by train. You can be yourself. Really buzzy atmosphere. But one of their big things is really leaving it up to you- its really independent and I don't know if I'd do too well with that, I tend to need structure and I don't want to be left behind. Then again its probably a good transition into university. Roughly 2000 students upper and lower 6th form
- College no.2: It's in-between my school and the other college in terms of how independent it is for students. Its a top sixth form college. Brilliant teaching again really enthusiastic teachers. Quite a formal academic focused atmosphere. Don't know if I'd prefer something more buzzy but then I suppose your not there for the atmosphere . Roughly 2000 students upper and lower 6th form. 45min away.

I'd be interested to see what other people would choose!
Original post by Elena.11
I've applied to three places to do my A-levels and have got into all three places. So now it's the big decision and I have no clue where I should go.
These are my options:
- I could stay at my current school to do my A-levels, where the teachers are good at supporting me, plus all my friends are staying on. I would feel comfortable and its a really friendly school. But the science department is weak and there a quite a few bad teachers in other departments as well. I'm also worried that I'm going to get complacent because it would be easy to rely on the teachers support. Another thing is that I don't know if I could work somewhere where there are still year 7's running about (that sounds as if I think I'm above them!! but hopefully you know what I mean). Its also by the sea. Roughly 200 students lower and upper sixth. 15 min away. Uniform.
- There's sixth form college no. 1, which is really exciting, the teachers are incredibly enthusiastic and I've heard there's hardly any bad teachers. its in a city, 30min by train. You can be yourself. Really buzzy atmosphere. But one of their big things is really leaving it up to you- its really independent and I don't know if I'd do too well with that, I tend to need structure and I don't want to be left behind. Then again its probably a good transition into university. Roughly 2000 students upper and lower 6th form
- College no.2: It's in-between my school and the other college in terms of how independent it is for students. Its a top sixth form college. Brilliant teaching again really enthusiastic teachers. Quite a formal academic focused atmosphere. Don't know if I'd prefer something more buzzy but then I suppose your not there for the atmosphere . Roughly 2000 students upper and lower 6th form. 45min away.

I'd be interested to see what other people would choose!

I'd pick the smaller and closer one, i spent an hour on the bus each day to sixth form and felt like a lot of dead time to me.
Original post by claireestelle
I'd pick the smaller and closer one, i spent an hour on the bus each day to sixth form and felt like a lot of dead time to me.

Even though I wouldn't be able to choose my options??! (just realised I don't think I mentioned that earlier that's another thing about my school)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Elena.11
Even though I wouldn't be able to choose my options??!

You forgot to mention that in the OP?:P Maybe go for the second school then as enthusiastic teachers sounds great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest