The Student Room Group

Medicine with average gcses

I’m currently doing right now chemistry psychology biology and epq and I wanted to know if I’m able to actually study medicine in specifically at a russel group uni with my average gcse grades. Please be honest
Religious studies: 8
English: 6
Maths :6
English lit:7
Biology:6
Chemistry:6
Physics:5
Psychology: 6
History:6
Sports: Distinction star
(Moved to the medicine subforum)
I got 777666554 and I'm currently on 3 interviews. Apply strategically.
Reply 3
Original post by youaresoloved
I’m currently doing right now chemistry psychology biology and epq and I wanted to know if I’m able to actually study medicine in specifically at a russel group uni with my average gcse grades. Please be honest
Religious studies: 8
English: 6
Maths :6
English lit:7
Biology:6
Chemistry:6
Physics:5
Psychology: 6
History:6
Sports: Distinction star

Your first hurdle will be you A-level predictions - are you on track to get at least AAA? I know you have not mentioned A-level grades in your post, but going from 6 in Chemistry and Biology to A/A, is quite a tall order. Also, bear in mind that many of the students that you will be competing with for places will have A* predictions across the board. Certainly not impossible for someone to go from grade 6 in GCSE to A* in A-level in the same subject, but I can't imagine it is very common.
Hiya,
As others have mentioned, this isn't something that will wholly prevent you from applying to medicine, but will limit your options somewhat. Quite a few medical schools have minimum entry requirements of 6s for Maths and English, which you satisfy. Therefore, you're in a position where you would want to apply strategically. There are other medical schools e.g. QUB, UEA, Leicester that actively score your GCSEs, which would not be strategic places for you to apply to.

Until you have your predicted grades and entry exam e.g. UCAT results, we can't tell you where would be the best places to apply. However, it's also important to consider the academic requirement involved. How are you finding your A-Levels? If you're struggling with those, then you might want to consider potentially pursuing an alternative course, as medicine is a massive academic commitment. If you want it, you should absolutely go for it, but it's an important aspect to consider :smile:

I hope this helps!

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Medic Mind
Reply 5
Original post by gogoiyoi598

What was ur ucat score and what unis did u apply to and get offers from
Reply 6

Where did you apply

Hey I just wanted to ask did you get into medicine and which uni?
Reply 8

could i ask which universities you applied to and which ones would be a good idea?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending