The Student Room Group

Havent done much gcse revision only 4 days left of holiday help!

Since the 2nd week of easter i have done in total about 15 hours of revision, in my mocks i got mainly Bs and some A*s but would like mainly As and A*s in myGCSES can i still get this with little time left?
Thanku
At this point it's probably best not to focus too much on setting incredibly high standards. I personally think you need to work out whether you'd rather a spread of mostly As and Bs or go for an A* in a few subjects and be happy to accept whatever you get in the other subjects (whether they end up As or Bs).

Once you've worked out whether you want to revise each subject equally or concentrate on a few specific ones, you should break down the time available into revision slots and allocate them to your subjects. Make sure you give yourself a few breaks, or you won't absorb material as effectively.

Then, before even starting any revision, gather all your books and notes and work out which material from each subject you're going to look at, any topics you need to focus on.

Above all, be strategic. Look up which topics you can bank on coming up in the exam based on past papers, and look at topics that you struggle with and could throw you.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Greatleysteg
At this point it's probably best not to focus too much on setting incredibly high standards. I personally think you need to work out whether you'd rather a spread of mostly As and Bs or go for an A* in a few subjects and be happy to accept whatever you get in the other subjects (whether they end up As or Bs).

Once you've worked out whether you want to revise each subject equally or concentrate on a few specific ones, you should break down the time available into revision slots and allocate them to your subjects. Make sure you give yourself a few breaks, or you won't absorb material as effectively.

Then, before even starting any revision, gather all your books and notes and work out which material from each subject you're going to look at, any topics you need to focus on.

Above all, be strategic. Look up which topics you can bank on coming up in the exam based on past papers, and look at topics that you struggle with and could throw you.

Good luck!

how much should i be doing now as my exams start late may, and should i be doing a lot of past papers or focusing on material i haven't remembered
thanks
Don't worry, I literally revised 1 day for each exam and did quite well
Reply 4
Original post by TercioOfParma
Don't worry, I literally revised 1 day for each exam and did quite well

what did you get and how did you revise effectively and quickly?
Original post by daniel.reid1
what did you get and how did you revise effectively and quickly?

I got 3 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs.

I did questions and re read the textbook.
Since the 2nd week of easter i have done in total about 15 hours of revision, in my mocks i got mainly Bs and some A*s but would like mainly As and A*s in myGCSES can i still get this with little time left?
Thanku

Still time, get going
Reply 7
Original post by ODES_PDES
Still time, get going

how? tho I'm so unsure how to revise quickly
how? tho I'm so unsure how to revise quickly

Evenings and weekends.
Make a timetable
Thanku

totally you can. During mocks teachers tend to mark harshly and if you just make sure you know your stuff by the date of each exam you'll smash the sh*t out of all of them.

Piece of cake.

Good luck dude x
Original post by raspberr1es
totally you can. During mocks teachers tend to mark harshly and if you just make sure you know your stuff by the date of each exam you'll smash the sh*t out of all of them.

Piece of cake.

Good luck dude x

ok thanks any more tips?
P-L-A-N a timetable!! I've done this! I feel like i haven't done enough revision, even though I think I have done a reasonable amount (probably about 3-4 hours a day. Some days none because I just wanted to relax. Some days I feel so un-motivated and lost).

This is what I have done.

1. Plan what days and the specific time of day you cannot revise

2. Plan how many hours of revision you want to do after school ( I am doing 2 hours, 30 minutes) - plan around the times when you're busy

3. Plan how many hours you want to do on the weekend (I am doing 4) - plan around your times when you're busy

4. Add up all the hours of revision for one week (mine is 20 hours and 30 minutes)

5. Multiply this by how many weeks you have till your first exam (my first exam is the 16th of May which is 5 weeks from the first day of school. This means I will have 102 hours and 30 minutes of revision)

6. Target how many hours of revision you want to do per subject, making sure you target your weaker ones first. Ensure you fill up your full amount of time of revision. I did this using Excel to make it a lot easier. Basically I'll have one column with eh subject then I will fill the next column with the amount of hours I want to do with that subject. I will then have a cell which adds up all these hours so I can see if I have some more time to bank into another subject or if I have gone over my limit.

7. Divide each subject by how many weeks you have to your first exam (so if I want to do 10 hours of maths, I'll divide by 5 to get 2 hours of maths a week)

8. Then you simply put your subjects down on a weekly revision timetable! I used Excel starter (or you can use the one on Outlook) but there's plenty of tools out there for you!
The clocks still ticking as you watch over this thread...

Get revising, you got enough time to get good results.
You still have time!!!!

For maths and the sciences, focus on doing past paper after past paper. If you do at least 10 past papers in each of these subjects you should be fine to at least get an A if not an A star. Particularly with the sciences, at GCSE, the same questions just reworded tend to come up. Providing you do your past papers you can basically memorize answers to many of the questions that will come up. Making a few notes for Biology would also help.

In terms of humanities, read past questions so that you get a feel of what to expect. Then go through your syllabus and make colored mind maps. once you have done your notes and mind maps try past papers.

It is going to be hard work, but you pull it off!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest