The Student Room Group

What do you think of my revision plan?

Hi, I'm in year 10 and next week (starting tomorrow), I have my first mock exams. These exams got me thinking of starting a revision routine for when the day of my GCSE's finally come. I thought of this method myself as I haven't researched online ways of revising but I thought my method could work. I only started this method yesterday and I thought I would ask TSR their opinion of my method. So here it is.

Firstly, for every subject I will do the most recent past exam paper (download it, print it, then do it.
Secondly, if I don't know how to do any questions on the paper, I will skip it.
Thirdly, after I have finished the past exam, I will mark it. Any questions I get right, I will highlight the question in green, anything I get wrong, I will highlight in red (even if the question is partially right and partially wrong).

Then, after marking the exam, I will make a list of all the things I got right and all the things I got wrong. The things I got right, I won't have to revise because if I got it right without guessing, then it most likely means that I know it off by heart. The things I got wrong on the 'wrong list', will serve as a list of things I need to learn and revise by using online tools such as BBC Bitesize, SAM learning, mymaths etc.

So far I have done it for the Edexcel maths paper 2 higher and it seems to be working for me so far. Reading through old workbooks, notes and questions really doesn't work for me as it stresses me out as there's too much to read and I never remember what I read in the first place.
Reply 1
Original post by luke2016

Then, after marking the exam, I will make a list of all the things I got right and all the things I got wrong. The things I got right, I won't have to revise because if I got it right without guessing, then it most likely means that I know it off by heart. The things I got wrong on the 'wrong list', will serve as a list of things I need to learn and revise by using online tools such as BBC Bitesize, SAM learning, mymaths etc.

Yeah but still remember to go over your strong topics once in a while as even if you got it right the first time, you can always forget stuff and it's not always worded the same so make sure all your topic knowledge is concrete solid. Otherwise a pretty good plan.
Reply 2
Original post by one_man_abdullah
Yeah but still remember to go over your strong topics once in a while as even if you got it right the first time, you can always forget stuff and it's not always worded the same so make sure all your topic knowledge is concrete solid. Otherwise a pretty good plan.

Thanks for answering, I forgot to mention however how after I go through all of the things I didn't know and tested myself to see if I do know them or not, I will do another past exam paper with the same specification to see if my grade on it improves, then if there's still things i'm getting wrong, I will 'rinse and repeat' this method until my grade becomes high enough (A* if I work hard enough). I will do this method for all subjects and I will create some sort of timetable/plan that includes all subjects when I get onto it.

Quick Reply

Latest